What swaps are good for what?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What swaps are good for what?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

Wichita Ks, Kansas City Ks and Lawrence Ks are going by way of hotrod, muscle, 1970's and newer. Pre-war cars and motorcycles/ parts but each year is less and less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

If you get to know those bright young lads with the Go Fast cars they can bring you some wonderful treasures they have know use for. Many of them have interest in the older cars that isn't apparent. Ask me how I know?

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

I'll go to the Wichita A's meet at the Coliseum next month because I usually find some Model T items there. I hear this will be the last time for that meet. I quit wasting the drive to Lawrence. The last time I went to that one there was only one guy with any Model T stuff to speak of, and his prices gave me sticker shock. Everything else was postwar. I haven't been to KCK since I sold the sign business ten years ago, but I suspect it's the same.

I hear the Springfield meet in August still has T stuff, and of course there's Chickasha in March, which spoils us for all the others. I went to Petit Jean in June for the first time in ten years, and found some good buys there. I've been combining Iola with a visit to family in the next county, and I still find some good buys there. And of course, Hershey has lots of Model T parts and cars.

Getting parts at meets is a two-edged sword. The cost of travel, especially for any distance, is more than the cost of shipping would be if you bought from home. But you do get to inspect the goods instead of relying on a description or a crappy picture on your computer screen. The meets also have entertainment value just in some of the stuff you see, and offer the chance to visit with folks you otherwise see only online.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

We all need to try the NEW Pre War meet in VA this May. Hope it will be the beginning of a good one. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Fleming on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

Here is the website for the Mid Atlantic Pre War Swap Meet in Luray VA May 14,15,16 www.mapwsm.com. I would love to have you all come. There will be Model T Parts and much more. Contact me if you have questions

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

I heard on Monday that the Wichita swap meet has been "sold" to someone but don't know who yet. The Feb 6 & 7, 2015 swap meet will be the Wichita A's Model A Ford Club's 40th and final one. Due to its size, it is a major undertaking and requires a lot of work on their club members part. I believe the club members were ready to "retire". I haven't heard if it will remain at the same location or not in 2016. There have been some good T parts there in the past...last year, a set of Dayton wire wheels for a T. You never know what might turn up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:59 am:

New Pre war swap meet, I'm glad to hear this!
I will pass the word on. I will be there!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

Swap meets, like the rest of our hobby need participation to survive. If you are only a "shopper," you are not helping. The Long Beach Model T Club will hold it's 61st swap meet on July 25, and still has a good selection of T and A parts, but again participation (selling as well as shopping) is key. It seems that every year I have more and more guys tell me that they will shop, but not sell. I also have complaints that there is less and less people selling T and A parts. Do you see the connection? I know swap meets are hard work and guys are getting older, but for a meet to survive, the parts, and sellers need to be there! Once I commit to renting six or eight acres of property and getting all of my permits and licenses from the city, I need to sell spaces! If I can't sell them to T and A guys, and I can't get any Chevrolet, Studebaker, Dodge, Packard, etc. guys to come, "because it's a Ford meet," then I have to sell spaces to the guys with the polished manifolds and 4bbl carbs, T-shirts, and sunglasses. I've got to fill up the meet. I've got to make my money back! Otherwise, I get complaints that there weren't enough vendors, weren't enough spaces filled, wasn't worth coming, and of course, there were too many non-T vendors.

You guys need to clean out your garages and sheds and become sellers too! SWAP MEETS NEED SELLERS AND BUYERS!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James E Bowery on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

6 th ANNUAL WINTER SWAP MEET MARIETTA, OHIO Saturday March 7 2015. Contact Norm Bailey 41 Northwood Villa Lane Parkersburg, WV 26104 1-740-538-0023 oldcarboy23@frontier.com or Nelson Logan 1-740-373-5036

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 08:33 am:

FYI The swap meet during this years Homecoming in Richmond, Indiana on June 6 is a prewar meet. This is a change to what we first sent out. Come and help us grow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark McWethy on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

I moved from Michigan to Arizona 8 years ago. I was really excited as I had always thought that the warm temps and dry air promoted the antique car hobby. I have only heard of a couple of meets in that time. The ones that I have attended were no where like the ones in Michigan. Very few used parts and alot of import tools and inexpensive accessories. I have traveled over 3 hours to attend the Phoenix meet only to have covered it and left before noon. I hope that someone can come up with support to help the hobby in southeast Arizona. Best of luck to all trying to support the hobby.
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 02:59 pm:

I don't know how many BUYERS you would have but I for one would love to have a few SELLERS come over here and display their wares. They would surely go home a mite lighter! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration