OT. The ugliest cars to own.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT. The ugliest cars to own.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 06:09 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/_LpMB1OZ53g?feature=player_detailpage%22%20framebo rder=%220%22%20allowfullscreen%3E%3C/iframe%3E&autoplay=1
11 minutes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

I got a fireworks display. Didn't see any ugly cars....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Visualize anything made after 1969.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

That's all got also.
But here's some.
Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

Now that dumpster mobile, you have to admit, that took some vision to come up with that. Very funny and probably a hoot to drive. Just beware of any big trucks with forks on the front coming at you!

And sadly I can relate to the aggravation of the Lincoln owner that gave up on the factory air. That climate control is a pain in the #&#%#W to keep working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

The dumpster driver is cute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:54 am:

The AMC Pacer comes to mind as a very ugly car straight from the factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

The ugliest factory produced car I can think of is the Citroen 2CV and the PT cruiser a close second.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

30-39 Fords (boring, not terribly ugly), 42-48 Fords (enormous bulbous asses - UNGODLY UGLY !),
52-54 Fords (more dull than really ugly), 58-59 Fords (square boxes with token fins and garish trim),
60-62 Falcons, 62-64-67-and on big cars.

It is easier to name the NOT ugly post-war cars Studebaker dreamed up, same for Nash, Hudson,
and AMC.

58 and 64 Chevy, 64-66 Malibu

Mopars from 49-54, all of their 59 cars but Imperial, and way more ugly that not from 59 to 65.

I have a wild conspiracy theory that powers were brought to bear against Detroit automakers to
build uglier cars after 1960, with a target date of "pure ugly" by 1970, and each year the designers
and head brass would meet to review the new designs and compare them to last year's offerings
to make sure they were uglier than before. The only hitch I have in this theory is that the program
was highly successful and delivered on time, so the gov't could not have been involved ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

Aside from T's, Burger has lousy taste in cars. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

The Pontiac Aztec was so ugly that the only way they could get rid of them was to give them away on game shows, Oprah, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

Agreed Derek.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

My vote goes to the Aztec and the Toyota Yaris Verso.
Also BMW X4, X6, Audi Q7

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

Derek ~ My design education does not allow me to follow corporate allegiances.
Everyone made ugly cars as well as good lookign ones. No one had a "lock" on
good design.

Ford was a cheap car and generally looked the part. Some years were better than
others. The 1940 design was quite striking amongst "the pack". The 57 Fairlane
was also a very well presented fin era design. 63 was a real clean post-fins design.
Those that fell in between were less than par. Example ... I would argue a 56 Ford
is a pretty decent looking car for what it is, but when we roll one up beside a Packard
Caribbean, it becomes clear who made a stunning design vs. a lesser design.

Nothing made after 1970 even counts. Like a rag soaked in solvent, cars made after
1970 are so soaked in ugly it is laughable to even look at them for something to
consider.

BTW - I like black era T's because they were the zenith of a cheap car, in an utterly
pure, honest presentation of being just that ... a basic, cheap car. Knowing the Ford
history, this is where Henry hit his stride. Were it up to him, we'd still be buying all-
black T's, because his paradigm was this was the perfect balance of performance,
price, and utility. He saw no point in building "more" into a car. It was his circle of
influence and where the market went that caused Henry to let go of his ideals to create
"the Improved Car" and everything beyond. I like black era T's because they best
represent the man himself. :-)

Probably not a lot of guys into their vehicles for philosophical reasons like this, but
the black T looks and plays the part perfectly for The Car That Changed The World.
Nothing phony, no false pretenses. Just a basic, honest car. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 02:59 pm:

No blind allegiances here either, I like a lot of Ford, GM, and Mopar as well as a few foreign makes also. I currently have Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, and Mazda in my garage.

I just don't agree with a lot of things on your list... I like a lot of cars up to 73 before the government-mandated 5mph bumpers, and I like almost all pre-WWII Fords. Even a few 80-90s cars are attractive, but not many. Some of the greatest cars ever built are being made RIGHT NOW. Some of the modern muscle has great styling.

Looking at cars with an open mind and a positive attitude makes it easy to find great things about all sorts of different types of cars.

I'd have no problem parking a Ford Model N next to a brand new Corvette Stingray in my garage if only I could afford either one of them. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

All I see in modern cars for design is bar of soap styling with a Tupperware wrapper.
Both ugly in my book.

As for open mind and positive attitude, when we are talking about ugly .... ugly is ugly.
Where does open mind and positive attitude figure into that equation ? !! :-)

Kinda like your friend trying to hook you up with his horse-faced 400lb sister, saying
all you need is an open mind and a positive attitude ! :-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

Burger, If you do not like the new Mustang you should be banned from driving. The new mopar in lime green should make anyone puke but there are a lot of very nice cars out there today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

Oops!
Should have been this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzsIvJkWUU8

Bonus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJO5iAg0rzc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 05:06 pm:

I have owned three of these through the years. This was my first. Paris 1968.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

I agree with the Aztec crowd. Looks like a mini van that was rear ended by a garbage truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 05:24 pm:

Most all the cars and trucks made in the last 15-20 years have some version of a smiling mouth for a grille.
What the hell were the stylists thinking?
Dream up something original for criminy sakes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

Bob. Original looks requires balls to take a chance because they might fail. It is safer to go with the flow and not take chances, therefor we have a bunch of clones and lookalikes. There is little original thinking today so we are stuck in mediocrity

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

Not all 70's cars are ugly.:-)

My first ride was and still is my favorite. 6100 pounds of class and comfort. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

By Scott Owens on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 04:35 pm:
Burger, If you do not like the new Mustang you should be banned from driving.
The new mopar in lime green should make anyone puke but there are a lot of
very nice cars out there today.

==========================================================

Sorry Scott, the Tupperware look just ain't gonna make the cut. If it works for
you OK, then I am happy for you. I'd rather restore nice 66 fastback and drive
the wheels off it. And when it has a problem, I won't need $100K worth of computer
diagnostic equipment to service it. Ugly also comes in the form of cost and maintenance ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Burger, I have a 65 fastback that is my dream car. I had one as a kid and now have one again. But the new Mustang makes your eyes drool. They will out run out, handle and stop on a dime.And todays cars will go 300,000 miles with less repair that the early counterparts. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

I would call the ugliest current car to be the Nissan Cube. Obviously not everyone agrees with me as I saw a woman driving one with plates that read "CUTECUBE"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 02:31 am:

Scott ~ I guess we just come at this from different places. All I see in the new
mustang is a plastic fake that doesn't come close to being as cool as an original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TOM on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 07:32 am:

All Chrysler products from 57 to 63. In the salt belt they rusted out so fast it made them even uglier. Working for AAA during the time period, they were the most popular for no start service calls in the winter. AMC products were next in line for service calls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 07:44 am:

How about that car called The Cube? Not sure who makes it. It's relatively new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 08:36 am:

Marty. Read my post above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 10:30 am:

Dick Lodge, when Ronna saw the 2CV with corrugated delivery bodies in France in 1966, she thought they were made of parts left from the war. It is still #1 on her list ugly cars. She hates the PT cruiser and the little box cars, too.

I asked my neighbor when he was going to take his car out of its box. He laughed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Ralph, my favorite 2CV line was one I didn't experience personally, but read about. A fellow with a 2CV in the US was on a parking lot when he was asked, "Excuse me, mister, but did you buy that car on purpose?"

A friend of mine here in STL once remarked about the Honda Element, "Exactly which element is that? Buttuglium?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 11:08 am:

Burger, I service all my moderns without "$100k worth of computer diagnostic equipment" In fact, my OBDII code reader was on sale for $50 at AutoZone... but after selling both vehicles with over 200,000 miles on them and buying newer ones last year, I haven't had to do anything but change oil when the oil-life-monitor tells me to, at about 12k miles... so if it's true what you said about ugly coming in the form of cost and maintenance, I guess beauty can come in the form of not needing any. :-)

As for modern styling, there's no sense trying to explain it. Your mind is already made up that it's "ugly" before you've even seen the car, so who here is really blindly following allegiances?

If plastic = fake, then how do you steer your TT without a real steering wheel? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 12:29 pm:

Plastic is annoying and when bumped it is worse than a watermelon.
Modern Styling? HA, that is a joke in just 2 words. There is no styling in modern cars. Unless they are styled after a behind of a mule.Truck grills are getting really bad.Cars aint had bumpers in years. Just plastic things that you hope and pray no 1 touchs or you have replace them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

Regarding ugly cars. It is my thought that one manufacturer comes up with an ugly car, lets the design slip out and the race is on to see who can produce an uglier car.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

Burger

Having owned a low production number 65 Mustang, a 1966 Mustang and a 1967 Mustang all New models,
I have to agree with you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 01:34 pm:

Derek ~

Do you really liken a T wheel to a Prius bumper ? Please !

How do you rationalize liking old cars for their intrinsic qualities while at the same
time welcoming all the plastic garbage. The two are polar opposites in my mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

Sugar cube
cube

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 02:57 pm:

blond
More neat license plates.
http://news.distractify.com/fun/50-funniest-license-plate-pictures-ever/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

Mack, I agree, I have had three Town cars of this era 72,77,79. The 72 was the most comfortable. I could drive this forever without getting tired. The 77 was the best looking. I also have 3 Mark V's. The three years they were made(77,78,79)Didn't go looking for them, it just happened. All six excellent cars. Town cars rode a little better because of the longer wheel base.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

There's a divorce lawyer in the local HCCA. Won't let him near wifey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

Well if I was to land on a island and a genie pop out of a bottle and grant me 3 wishes, 1 would be either a Tucker,or a 58 Lincoln Mark II 4 door.
Then the other 2 would involve enough money to cover operating cost! And I learned from watching tv,dont tell the Genie, "I want a Million Bucks" or you will have 1 million male DEER running around the hood. I think that has already happened around here as we are covered in deer here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 01:16 am:

Why does no one think to ask for unlimited wishes?
AFter that don't sing the Oscar Meyer song! (Oh, I wish I was an Oscar Meyer wiener. . .)
PooF!!!

:-)

While my Wife's 2002 Honda Accord is still running fine (200K+ miles) the front "Bumper" and attached plastic fender liners are all falling apart and I keep bailing wiring them together, but I'm running out of places to wire them up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rion Schulze on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

Burger, I'm curious, ( however I strongly disagree with 30-39 Ford, who wouldn't want a 32?!) about the 64-66 Malibu? Why didn't you lump the 67 in there? Who wouldn't love the demanding curves of a 67, with a throaty Flowmaster exhaust and a punched out roller cammed big block. Sorry, I'm partial to my 67.

However it doesn't compare to the love I have for my T's!

Rhino

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration