27 roadster door hinge question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 27 roadster door hinge question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric McCarty on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

The body and inner bracing on my 27 roadster was damaged. It appears that the A pillar bracing where the door hinge mounts is pushed forward. You can see in the pics that there is a gap between the hinge and the door jamb sheet metal. It is not like that on the lower hinge. Can someone tell me how this should fit? Pics would be great. Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric McCarty on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

Another pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

There should be a countersunk washer between the head of the screw and the outer sheetmetal. The head of the screw is oval with a slot. The washer is on the outside of the sheetmetal. Originally there were threads built into the post, but nuts won't show. All you need is the correct bolts and washer.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 07:13 am:

Eric When I get home I will post several pictures of my 27 door do you just need the drivers door or the passenger or both?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:24 am:

As I recall the sheet metal is formed with countersink that those oval head bolts fit into.

Appears your sheetmetal has been torn away at those spots over the hinge slot in the sheetmetal.

As for the cupped washers, think those were only on the doors? Been a while, might be wrong, or different years had different style of fitting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

Here is my installation and hardware for the door on a '26. I used tinnerman/sheet metal nuts to make the cupped washers..can't remember if I ground off the backsides. Need to select the right size nut and use flat head screws. The hex segments don't show.
door washers
Door and body /hinge attachment
sheet metal nut
Sheet metal nut

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric McCarty on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

Thanks everyone for the pictures and guidance. I am thinking that the A pillar inner structure is slightly bent inward toward the firewall due to the gap between the dash and the body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

Eric M. - Looks like you have it sorted out, but just in case, here are some pics of my 27 Runabout. It's disassembled so you can see the wood kick panel tack strips (I suppose they are correct, they work anyway.)

I haven't yet removed the door hinge screws, the only view here is from the outside.

The third picture is the passenger side.

If you need further pictures just send me a message. I'm happy to help out any way I can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric McCarty on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

Thank you for the help! That is just what I needed.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration