Brake question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Brake question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Baradat on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

if you have a good outside brake set up (rocky mountain) do you even need to have the drum band installed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

Yes, If they are new reproduction Rockies, they won't hold in reverse and fade quickly when wet. Brakes should always have a plan B or even C, just in case plan A fails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Baradat on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

oh and Happy New Year and thanks in advance!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

I don't know about Rockie's, but some T auxiliary brake systems come with their own brake pedal, like Bennetts for example. In some of these that replacement brake pedal is absent the cam necessary for transmission brake operation.

It would seem that in these cases the aux. brake designer made a deliberate effort prevent use of the transmission brake with the aux. rear brake system. My TT is set up like this and consequently there is no transmission brake band installed as it would be of no use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 11:21 pm:

Use of the replacement equalizer makes it imposable or nearly imposable to use the Ford parking brakes. That is why many of the installations you see don't even have the parking brakes hooked up. It can be done but takes some imaginative engineering. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Baradat on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 01:18 am:

Mark I have only had this car a short while and haven't spent too much time tinkering with it but DID notice that hand brake issue, in fact the pawl is broken and there was that binding with the equalizer. I have adjusted the brakes and think I have them in a sweet spot so the hand brake seems maybe ok and neutral cam I think is about right....I hope. Do you think that I can get it all to work with adjusting or do I need to fab some pieces in the linkage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:15 am:

John;
I run AC's that use a steel cable to activate the brakes.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/246936.html?1321237805

I didn't read through the whole string but mine hook up the same.
The next option is this;

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/402037.html?1384711491

I changed the design and eliminated the round stock and levers that mount the rods and just went with 5/16 flat stock. I have this type mounted on one car so far and did a test drive seems to work great. Gives you what amounts to 3 brake systems, RM, parking brake and transmission.
There have been others posted.
Some people at one time just hooked the RM up to the parking brake cross shaft only and did not add the proper pedal/equalizer. Doing it that way to use the RM you have to pull back on the parking brake lever to stop the car with the RM's.
These are just a couple of ideas. There have been more posted. Try a Google search; "mtfca; equalizer" This will bring up a number of post past and present that should have more info.
MarkG

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration