New home made tool

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New home made tool
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 02:20 am:

I don't know of anyone making forged L shaped shackles so I have to rebuild originals. I made this tool from an piece of T rear axle. The hole in the end is threaded.

The shackle is built up with my mig welder and the screwed into the holder to be centre bored.shackle in holder

The built up shackle is the turned down to size between centres.ready for turning

Once turned to size, the centre hole is welded up and file finished.

Hope this is of use to somebody.

Allan from down under.holding tool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 07:32 am:

Very neat tooling, well done. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 07:56 am:

Allan,

Nice tool and nice work.

All -- for a look at the previous home made tools from the 2014 thread please see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/421934.html?1420203269 .

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 09:39 am:

I like that. It's much simpler than mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 09:48 am:

Hap, there is also a second homemade tool thread #2. I do not know how to do links. you may want to link it also...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Im trying to do a link to homemade tools #2

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/423378.html?1392732270

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:28 am:

Looks like it worked, Thanks Mike, I guess you know you have probably created a "link monster" . :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

There'll be no stopping you now! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 11:13 am:

What method did you use to harden it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

Adam, the tool is as turned from the T axle.

I do not harden the shackles. I always use bronze bushings in the spring and perches and see no reason to go into hardening the pins.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

coil box gluing clamp
cl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robert wright on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

coil winder

coil winder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 11:37 pm:

I didn't invent this. It's just a copy I made. For checking oil petcocks without crawling under the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Trembler Coil Test Set

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

This is not a T specific tool but It has been copied by others who have seen it and I have used it for about 30 years. It is a set of bolt bins made from one gallon paint thinner cans. There is a lot of different things that come in the gallon cans, so they are easy to find. Most body shops have a lot of them. The rack is one, 4 X 8 sheet of 1/2 inch plywood with 1 X 12 inch shelves. Nail or screw them good as the cans can be heavy when full. I leave about one inch above the cans to allow for overfilling and they slide out and "tip" to see in better. I cut the side out of the can and leave about 3/4 inch on the sides to roll into the inside and hammer flat, I cut both ends flush with the ends. I also round the corners as I cut and it makes for a stronger corner and less likely to cut yourself on it. A narrow pointy knife works very well to cut them quickly.

cans 2

cans 3

cans 4

cans 5

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration