Wouldn't you like to get one of these in your mailbox?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wouldn't you like to get one of these in your mailbox?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 09:43 am:

This may have been posted before, but I had never seen it. Notice the 1 cent postage...those were the days!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Yes, it's been around before, but we always have new folks who haven't seen it. This is a good antidote to the usual marveling at the wonderful prices people used to pay. Yes, $5 seems like a great price for a fender. But the labor charge is only $2.50. After the business overhead is covered, and the boss gets his cut, how much of that $2.50 goes to the guy who installs the fender? Some things were better in times past, but The Good Old Days weren't as heavenly as we like to imagine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Yes, It has been posted before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:10 am:

You need to post it in the 2015 forum. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:20 am:

I actually have a copy (laminated) that I hang from my light bar for people to read at cruise-ins and car shows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:25 am:

In the Good Old Days when people passed away the usual cause was 'diagnosed' as consumption. What ever that meant!
In Fords world of manufacturing parts it wasn't so good other than getting a better wage than a lot of other people.

I'm not a big fan of government regulations but the way T parts and the way lots of other things were made was down right dangerous!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:29 am:

I believe that consumption was the old name for tuberculosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuberculosis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 02:39 pm:

The term "consumption" often did mean tuberculosis. It also was used for several forms of cancer, a few degenerative disorders, and almost anything else that seemed to eat away at a person's body and/or strength. Tuberculosis was probably the most common real illness it was used for. Tuberculosis as a separate illness was medically identified in the mid 1800s. However the use of the word "consumption" continued for a long time afterward.

I always enjoy seeing this card (actually, there were many different similar cards) again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

The 2,50 labor cost in 1928 was equivalent to 32,53 dollars in 2014. Pretty cheap labor - how long does it take to replace a front fender, even for a skilled mechanic?

(http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration