A very special day

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: A very special day
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:23 am:

A VERY SPECIAL DAY

It is December 31,2014 New Years eve, I had just sat down in front of the TV after a bitter cold and windy day . Cold soaked and tired, I built a fire in the stove and was just starting to warm up when Harold Mann called. He was wondering if I would join him on his traditional New Years Day tour on the Las Vegas Strip. Harold and his late wife Dortha had started this tradition some eleven years earlier. He would be at Oakey and Western at 8:00 am and would leave at 8:30. While he was inviting me on his tour all I could think of is ,this guy is NUTS, tomorrow ( I'm thinking) is sure to be just as cold as today I am still cold and just got colder with his invite. Now I love to drive the T more than anyone but I soon realized, not as much as at least one. This was sure to be just plain punishment. One thing that he did suggest was we could get a bowl of hot soup after we had made the run. Now that actually sounded really good! Well I ,to say the least, was not to sure that I could make it, or should I say take it. Well, looking for encouragement, I asked my wife Marilyn if she would like to go on the New Years Day run, she more or less asked if I was on medication. Hummmmm. It wasn't that I didn't want to go, It was just sure to be COLD. I am thinking that Harold was sure to take his enclosed car.....I could just ride with him. HUMMMMM. What, your taking the touring car??? Well, what am I to do, this was like a double dog dare. This thought would fester a while and then a brilliant idea came to mind, I could load the car on the trailer and meet him. I just wish that I had thought about that earlier , now it is dark and colder and still windy. Hummmm. Well I decided that if it is not to windy I will put the T on the trailer in the morning. ( I am thinking that I still might be able to get out of this) 5:00 AM, I don't hear any wind, should get up?.......well ........ well.... OK, OK. So I get up and fix a cup of coffee and look out side. 6:00 am and I can see some clouds but it is not windy. You might think that I was dressed to go snow skiing, but I hook up the trailer to truck and park it out front. I walk back to get the Ole girl, Gas.. yes, oil.....................Yep, gas on , spark..up, throttle... 1/4 , brake... on, Ignition... on, bzzzzzz... good, I pull her through with the choke once and pull her through twice more, she fires ,almost like ,well, she seems excited to go. Now I am getting excited, though it is 27 deg., surly it will get warmer. Well .....I am here..... should I call Harold? I go ahead and unload, It is cold but the sun is shining and the wind is not blowing. I wait................ Good to his word, Harold and Liz , his beautiful red 1915 touring car are making their way through the parking lot. 1915....My mind must have been sum what blurred from the cold yesterday but today it all makes sense. It is her birthday, one hundred years old, and her younger sister and I are here to celebrate with them. We wait a little longer.... well we are it , so off we go It is a beautiful day, Harold and Liz, elegantly leed the way, she seems to have a warm glow as we make our way through traffic. She is purring , she is honking , she is whistling, she is ringing her street car bell , She Is Having A Wonderful Day and so are we. Happy New Year., Harold and Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:38 am:

Glad you were able to get out with your T! If I had someplace to go and meet up with someone(s)I might have pulled the cover off mine and done the New Years drive too. Themp wise we are about the same. Like the red T's!
MarkG
redmodelt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

There is an annual New Years Day run that starts at the Roy Y in Spanaway Washington every year. This year is was 44 miles and it always ends with lunch at Godfather's Pizza.

It is not a T run specifically but all makes and models of vintage cars but our T's are always the oldest. We all have motor oil in our blood veins and the Non-T people spend a great deal of time looking at OUR cars. Their jealousy is obvious!

It was cold and beautiful again this year. The run was great and the camaraderie was awesome as it always is.

Sorry... no pictures... camera got dropped and died.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

My T is hors de combat right now; it's getting new wheels made by Mr. Stutsman in Ohio. But the local Cars and Croissants group, mostly modern exotics, was having withdrawal symptoms after canceling the last two get-togethers of 2014 because of salt on the roads. We'd had enough rain to wash away the salt, and New Year's day was scheduled to be bright and cold, so the C&C organizers called a quickie for yesterday morning. With no T, I drove my '12 Buick, top and windshield down, fleece and ski underwear and snowmobile suit on. Temperature 16 when I left, 30 when I got home. One guy in a sorta-stock Model A, one in an exquisite Jaguar XK-120 with the top up, a few modern electrics, otherwise Porsches and Alfas and such. 18 miles round trip. Fun, but a bit chilly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

Hello John I'll trade you weather Happy year from Winnipeg Canada.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

I drove to the New Years brunch in the 26 touring. My next door neighbor drove his 50 Chev low rider pickup. It was about 35 degrees here with blue sky. Didn't get a picture.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 09:24 am:

Dec. 31,2014 Here in Las Vegas, Nevada was a day you might expect some where north. It was 34deg. but with the north winds and snow flurries (chill factor)we were in the less than teens. I am sure many of you were affected by the same storm. To say the least, it was not to good of weather to take the T out. The starter on the 25 is on the fritz so I thought that I would hand crank it, yesterday. Jacked up the rear, still can hardly turn it over. I was not successful getting it to go. It is usually very easy to start. I guess that I will have to fix the starter or use some heat tape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 09:31 am:

I took my T out for a drive on New Year's eve and New Year's day, fired up on the first pull of the crank, but I cheat (heated garage). :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration