Help identifying coils

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Help identifying coils
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

Pittsfield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

What would they be used for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

Jason
Pre Model T era.
Are those the only two you have?
Hows about a picture of the inside of the box?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 07:13 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 07:16 am:

I believe there are four coils I just forget at the moment as these pictures were taken several years ago. Is there a market for them? Also I understand it's difficult to put a value on them can anyone offer a opinion 50$ 100$ 500$ just would like an idea. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 11:47 am:

They can be rebuilt; I reproduce their points exactly as original. Their approach to the required flexibility at the lower contact is kinda neat in that the armature with the contact attached is mounted UNDER the soft steel "magnet shield", with the contact protruding up through a hole in the shield. This eliminates the need for a spacer sandwiched between the two parts.

The problem encountered in rebuilding these is that the wood cases must be cut apart to access the condenser and windings. They are all glued together and come apart fairly easily sometimes; other times they end up practically destroyed, and then it's a lot of work to get them back together so they maintain their dimensions and don't look a sight.

As to value, I picked up a pair identical to yours (they even had the connector hook), and in the same condition, at a swap meet for $40. I didn't have my tester with me and later found that both of their secondaries were open. The big thing with these, and what gives them their value, is that they are complete (although now that points are available, missing points don't affect the value as long as the helper spring under the armature is intact) and that the bakelite tops aren't badly warped or broken.

Probably, the box has the most value, although there aren't a lot of photos that would help to determine a more exact value. The hinged top, with those unique hinges, is a Pittsfield characteristic.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration