Split Rim Lock Clamps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Split Rim Lock Clamps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

I am giving my 1926 Aussie Geelong built T (Number A1020)a set of re-spoked wheels and new tyres to make it drivable...I have the split rims sand blasted and need to fix the broken and missing clamps. Is any one aware of a source of supply for these. I've checked Snyders and Langs and can't see a listing, but they may be called something else other than what I think they are.. after all we spell "tire" differently :-)
No doubt I can manufacture something , but would rather use a "proper" replacement as the old girl is original and unrestored and operational.
The photo is of the one rim with , I suspect , a surviving partial lock on it.
I just posted this and for some reason it ended up in Jan of 2014, so here it is again!!! The Forum 2015 link didn't come up on the home page when I first logged in.
Lock Clamps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

Tony I don't know where you could get any locking mech for those, but they are really interesting. Looks like you could use a bolt with a nut on it for a lock and mayhap that's what they did originally (you know Model T people, ever inventive as to solving problems on the fly). But I'm sure somebody on this forum would know for sure. Do you know if these were these only used in Australia? Or are they uncommon there too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

That type was used in Canada (maybe an export item also) unlike our U.S. style of rim latches. I have repaired them using a heavy duty cabinet hinge & pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

Tony, another source of clamps is the door hinge on 26-7 Ts, perhaps other years on US cars. From memory, one loop needs to be cut off the side of the hinge, so you have two on each piece.

Make sure you offset the two halves so the pin is all one one side of the split. Otherwise you will not be able to close it. Don't ask how I know this.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 12:50 am:

I have similar locks on my '27 Dodge Brothers Business Sedan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

Thanks for the help... don't think I have any spare door hinges.. will have to dig through the shed to check... the heavy duty hinge might be an easier option, so if I don't have any luck a visit to the hardware will be in order. To Steve : we discussed a coil box lid for a 24 a while back... ended up locating one hidden away in the bottom of a heap of miscellaneous parts that I didn't even know I had. Appreciate your continued advise.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration