New year, new forum and now a new T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New year, new forum and now a new T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

I originally started out with just one model T, which was an '11 Torpedo. Then strangely, a '22 Centerdoor was added. Now, somehow (I'm dodging responsibility), an additional model T made it's way into my shop.

I got an early 1913 Towncar. Couldn't resist it. There's some things which need to be fixed/corrected, but very solid car. I find the reason they weren't too popular when new is you need to be built like a bean pole to drive it, as you're pretty much jammed up against the steering wheel. So, I guess I need to develope a taste for rice cakes......

1913 Towncar
13913 town car 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

Wow Les, Your new addition town car is a real jewel! Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

That's too pretty to leave it in the dark. Let's turn on the lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

I remember a friend who had an English version and drove it by sitting NEXT to the steering wheel. No way would he fit behind it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Who could possibly resist a Town Car. Good find. Yes, whether it's a Cadillac, Rolls Royce or a Model T, the formal car driver usually gives up a lot of space and comfort for the man in the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

Very nice Les! Are those divider windows permanently fixed in place, or can they be removed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

John, The divider windows will lower down with straps just like the door windows. There's just two posit1ons: all the way up or all the way down. The folks in the back have a lot of privacy, like sitting in a cave. I did put the rear top down, then got into the back seat. Surprisingly, with the top down, someone sitting there would have a pretty open view of things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:47 pm:

Best of luck with it Les,..hope you have many happy miles ahead with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 12:10 am:

Les, You can fix the window height position easily,

The strap should have in it holes along its length like a waist belt. On the door a small teat is fixed so you can hook on the belt at any of the holes for different heights.

The belt normally has an outer cover to hide the belt.
strap

As for the steering column problem, the Town Car has a different length one which gives more room for the driver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 09:58 am:

Pete,
Would you know the length of the steering column for the town car? I may not have the correct one. Thanks for info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 10:21 am:

These earlier posts have info on that topic :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/89355.html?1250263759

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/271078.html?1330525665

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

Thanks for the help....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

Sometimes, with my rambunctious kids, I wish I had a town-car... and the back was sound-proof. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 06:41 pm:

Les,

Great looking car! Recommend you contact Don Watson – who knows a lot of the history on a lot of the Town Cars. His profile is located at: http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profil e=doninabilene-users He was the former editor of the Town Car Newsletter. If he sees the thread he will probably post something.

You can also “cheat” and shorten a later steering shaft to give you a little more room or go with a smaller steering wheel. Also you can try doing the reverse of what the speedster guys do. Rather than lowering the steering column raise it a little installing wedges to raise rather than lower it.

Again, nice looking car!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration