Pair of "Weikra Winker" right and left semaphor turn signals

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Pair of "Weikra Winker" right and left semaphor turn signals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 12:34 am:

I am selling a pair of Right and Left "Weikra Winker" lighted Semaphor turn signals on ebay (item 111564245993) and am seeking information on them to post on the auction for potential buyers. I have never had trouble attaching pictures to my posts, but on this, my first post of 2015, I am unable to post pictures, so if you would like to see it, please visit the ebay auction.

I picked these up at an estate sale and have never seen anything like them, before. I looked up "Weikra Winker" online, but could not find any information. Can anyone tell me when these would have been manufactured and where they would have been installed on a car? Would these have been used on a Model T? Each arm is actuated by its' own steel sheathed cable, like the cables found on a the gears and brakes of a bicycle and the 6V light bulb in each arm, which is sandwiched between two celluloid lenses (the front facing one, white and rear facing one, red) and which can be see by oncoming traffic as well as traffic coming up from the rear, comes on automatically when an electrical contact engages a switch as the arm is coming out of its' protective nickel plated casing and goes off automatically whenever the arm goes back in. How would the cables have been actuated for each arm? Would they have been connected to a lever for left and right as well as a lever that would have actuated both arms in case of a stop? Where would these levers have been located? On a central control panel on the dash or on each side of the steering wheel? Thank you for any information you can provide. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 12:41 am:

Definitely European, most likely German from the looks of the bulb. V.W used a similar one for the dome light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 12:49 am:

Thank you Mike. Would "Weikra Winker" be a German name? It does not say where it was made but "Winker" seems to be an American word. I think the bulb is a very specialized bulb made just for this purpose, as it had to be held precisely and securely between the two celluloid lenses it was sandwiched between, because if it moved, it could melt the delicate celluloid. I wonder if our resident accessory expert, Jay of North California, has an accessory like this. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 12:53 am:

If ANYBODY has a set like these, it would be Jay. That is, if they were meant for a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 01:35 am:

I suspect these are later, 1930s or 1940s, and European, maybe British.
Typically, the cables would go to a control lever that would be connected to both units, center off, then push to the side you want to signal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 07:15 am:

Jim, Wikipedia has an interesting history on the semaphore turn signals you have on E-bay. They call them Trafficators. It might have some information that would help you date yours. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 08:57 am:

I don't think that bulb is that old. Perhaps 50s or 60s is the first I noticed them used. The VW dome bulb was smaller in diameter and had a pebble grain surface but the same style. The bulbs are still available and used in many dome lamps of more modern cars in a few variations. The plastic lens could be a clue but can't see the back or a close-up. I don't think injection molded lenses were used in the 20s. :-)

They could be copies or reproductions from JC Whitney.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 09:19 am:

Doing a Google search the only thing I came up with for that name was messages in German on Benz and Opel chat lines.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.170v.de/cgi-bin/y abb2/YaBB.pl%3Fnum%3D1403191218/0&prev=search

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 09:28 am:

Here are three pictures from the T-bay listing:

pic01

pic02

pic03

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 10:14 am:

The D.R.G.M is the give away that they are German.

In a rather loose way a DRGM mark was something akin to a mix of 'copyright' and a 'D' patent as we know it for use within the German states.

The DRGM registration system started in the reign of Wilhelm II, and ended when the Allies tossed every German procedural system that ever existed and set up a new system of everything government procedure for West Germany after WW2. (I don't know how East Germany went...but I can only guess probably the same?)

That said, the only factual clue this info provides is they are German made...and pre-1950

That style of lamp by the way is called 'double ended' should someone have old lamp books to research...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 10:21 am:

Jim, check this thread out from 2012.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/274876.html

Here's our set. Still haven't installed them yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 10:45 am:

I had a similar pair on my '26 Touring, but I think they were made by Bosh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

Thank you everyone. This has been most helpful and Jay, thank you for the picture of the control panel lever. With a visit to a bicycle store for the actuating cable, it shouldn't be too difficult to make this pair operational. Happy New Year. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

In 1968 in Germany, I had a 49 Volkswagon which had them mounted in the door post as OEM and used for left and right turns. G.I.'s referred to them as MOX NIX STIX since German drivers seemed to pay them no attention.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

They were standard on most European cars into the fifties.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration