Narrow Minded ? :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Narrow Minded ? :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

In a different car interest of mine, I have often been accused of being "narrow minded", because
I have very specific interests and readily "dismiss" other similar cars as being "unworthy" of my time
or money. Conversely, I find many of my contemporaries buy and own whatever car just happens to
drop in their lap, rather than developing a preferred year/model or "dream car" and then pursuing it.
We all have our favorites, and if someone else's favorite isn't the same as mine, about all I expect
out of that person is to be able to explain why they choose that one as their favorite (instead of getting
a "hurt feeling" over it).

Maybe Aunt Mable had one like it ? Maybe they like the sleek roofline, or the aggressive grille ?
Am I the only one that thinks this stuff through ?

I got to thinking about all this and it occurred to me that while I find just about any old car to have
some merit of "cool", I DO suffer from a severe case of NGD - Narrow Garage Disease, a direct symptom
of NWS - Narrow Wallet Syndrome. As a result, I've never owned a place to stash every car that strikes
my fancy at the moment, nor do I ever recall ever having to deal with large amounts of excess cash that
simply needed spending !

I am quite sure none of you know what I am talking about, right ? :-)

So, my garage space is tight, and I don't have a trust fund to spend on cars. So what to do .... ?

Get picky, of course ! If you only have a limited amount of space and cash flow resources, why would
anyone go off chasing stuff that wasn't truly their hearts desire ? Narrow mind, narrow garage, narrow
wallet, or just a simple case of pragmatic prioritization ? Or are they all just different terms for the same
thing ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

There are a lot of us in the same boat. I have one T (that is all I have money and most important, room for), it dropped in my lap for the right price ($600) and I had the money. That was 2002 or maybe a little earlier, still have it for the most part, same car only a different body then it left the Portland Or assembly plant with.
I sure don't begrudge the one's that have space and money, they keep the parts business's going. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 02:09 pm:

I think most of us are in the same boat. The waterline is a little higher on some than on others. I'm lucky enough to have space for a few cars, but social security and a pension keep a pretty tight lid on what I can do with them. If I suddenly become an oil tycoon, I'll probably spend some for more space, not more cars. My T's, and T projects, and work vehicles, are more than enough to keep me busy for a long, long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 02:24 pm:

When I came back from AFG, the idea of my own limited years left to live hit home hard
and I tightened my belt even further than I had before. I would not live long enough to finish
the projects I had and some weren't sounding all that interesting to me anymore. I sold three
large projects and bought two TT trucks. Not a lot of moving forward in my wife's eyes, but
the simplicity of the T's compared to a 56 Dodge D500 wagon restoration makes it a 10-to-1
swap down in terms of work and money.

An added bonus is the T's look perfectly fine in project stage as you have fun with them.
Not so much for a 1966 Coronet police car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

I have the narrow wallet Syndrome too. I wanted a Mercer Race-about in the 60's so I built a Model T Speedster that looked a lot like one. I wanted a Big Brass Touring and ended up building my Yellowstone Park Bus. If I had spent my car time on Homework I probably could have afforded some of my dream cars. But as it is, I developed skills to build stuff and I am quite happy the way things turned out.

I can see there are a lot of varied opinions on what cars are "Cool" and that is part of what makes the old car world interesting.

Rich :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 04:20 pm:

To like something specific doesn't mean you have to dislike everything that is different.

I learned when I got into racing to appreciate anything that is fast, rather than my specific favorite car (which was fast, but not competitive in its class). When I was getting beat by Mazda Miatas that cost 1/5 what I had in my Chevelle, I did what any competitive person would do, and bought a Miata. I made fun of them until I drove one... then I had to have one. Had I continued to dismiss them as "chick cars" I would be missing out on one of the most fun cars I've ever owned.

I like variety, and I get bored quickly if I'm not learning something new... the hobby itself is irrational so enjoy it how you want, but that doesn't make everyone who does it different "wrong".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

I am SO glad there are crazies who will restore the cars I would not, because saving
them is the overriding factor. I get REAL bored with seeing the same cars over and
over. Variety keeps things interesting, even if it's not what I am personally interested in. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 07:07 pm:

Sorta like radio stations playing the "A" side over and over but never the "B" side! :-) The "A" side is great but I want see/hear the "B" side too. :>{0>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 09:43 am:

Yeah, I Have more time than money most of the time but sometimes I run out of time too. And please forgive me but I love getting under the skin of a T-bucket owner by calling it what it is ...A Kit Car!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 10:06 am:

".... I would not live long enough to finish the projects ....."

And the older I become (which is a blessing, as others haven't had the opportunity), the longer it takes to do a simple task!

Enjoy your youth...you youngsters!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Well I wound up with the old cars I have like this.
my 61 Tbird was my grandpal Cole's car that I inherited.
My 66 F100 was bought to be a work truck and to remind me of my grandpal Blackwelders 65 he bought new.
my 47 pontiac, I have wanted that car since i first saw it sitting in the woods off the road about 400 feet 3 miles down the road here.So when I was able I bought it with my Stimulus check at auction.I was 5 years old when I first saw it,and was about 40 when I was able to get it.So it had to much time to rot down.But I got it!

My T's. Well, I always wanted a chain driven Mack.But those things are way out of my price leaque and my grandpal Blackwelder always talked about his T. So I decided I would try to build T truck,because of less sheet metal. Wanted to take grandpal for a ride but he died before I finished it.
Lack of money is the reason my stuff aint all running and fixed. So Narrow wallet controls my interest alot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 11:23 am:

And what of unlimited borders? A few years back I had the privilege of seeing a local business man's personal collection. A main purpose built climate controlled building held about 20 restored cars of all types & years. Side buildings attached to the main one held perhaps 20 more un restored cars including a Delorian, a Chrysler Air Flow and a Chevy 490. Out buildings held tractors, fire engines (including a hook & ladder truck), hit & miss engines, pedal cars (over 100) and still more collector cars. It was literally beyond belief and I've just hinted at what was there. Collecting for the sake of just owning. No way it'll ever be more than a bank account for his surviving relatives and there's probably millions in $ there but totally amazing to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

Steve, I think there is no danger of you becoming an oil tycoon. With crude prices as low as they are, the domestic new oil well drilling is almost a thing of the past.
I am in the same position here is south central Texas.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration