St. Petersberg, Fla 1916 pic

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: St. Petersberg, Fla 1916 pic
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

Can we get a refund ? I like the old St. Pete better ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

Lived there a little while in the 50's. Wonderful place. Anyone remember Webb's drugstore?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 11:41 am:

I remember the dancing chickens and the talking Mermaids

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

Must be summertime... no snowbirds filling the streets. I grew up in the Tampa St. Pete area and it ain't like that no more!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

Neat cameras. I had one many years ago. Sold it because of hospital bills the kids gave us.
It is interesting how the cameras distorted reality. I am not referring to the lack of snowbirds. You may see a lot of such panoramic photos. However, most of them are staged shots. That is what these cameras were used for. Usually, in a large field, the camera was set up on one side, near the middle. Then all the cars, wagons, motorcycles, whatever, were lined up in a semi-circle around the camera(usually about 50 to 100 feet away). The people took their positions, the camera was triggered, and the lens swung around taking a scrolling photo beginning on one end and ending on the other. The film is loaded inside the back of the camera, also in a semi-circle manner, so that the specially focused lens imparts the picture onto the film a tiny fraction of an inch at a time as the lens swings around.
When the film is developed, and printed, then laid flat, without a frame of reference otherwise,the image appears to be a straight line of cars, trees, people and whatever else. It does not look like the semi-circle pose that it really was.
In the photo shown above. With all the streets, buildings and phone or power lines as a frame of reference, you can see the distortion. Knowing that there were many places with streets and blocks that were not square, it is difficult to put the photo into perspective, and know exactly what we are seeing. That could really be a five-way intersection. Very likely, it is a standard, square, four-way intersection. Maybe someone familiar with the area could find a regular photo or map and show what it really is.
Very likely, if you were to begin driving down the street in the upper left of the photo, travel absolutely straight down that street and not turn the car at all, you would wind up driving UP the street and off the photo way up in the upper right of the photo. You would have driven in a "V" shape having gone straight across the intersection at the street going up the center of the photo. This without turning the car one bit.
Again, I would be curious to know if anyone familiar with this area can identify the intersection and verify (or not) my speculation.
The camera itself was fascinating. I never did get a chance to try it.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fritz Wilder on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

From left to right: Central Ave. looking west, next Second St. looking north, then Central Ave. looking east toward Tampa Bay. The building with the tower is the Detroit Hotel. It was St. Petersburg's first hotel built in 1888 by John Williams. Williams was one of the co-founders of St. Pete.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration