'27 Coupe rear sub-frame

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: '27 Coupe rear sub-frame
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

Could someone tell me if the rear lower outer lip of the sub-frame, between the T strip is flat side to side. Or does it have a slight bow to it. I have removed my lower rear panel to replace it, (someone had put a home made one on it) and mine seems to be flat across it.
I know the surface at the trunk is slightly bowed, but I don't know about at the bottom edge of the body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 11:47 am:

there was a discussion about this a year or so ago. Maybe someone can come up with a link to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

Thanks, I'll wait and see if someone does.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 01:50 pm:

Pat:

This link may be of some help,

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/122980.html?1265166994

respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 11:58 am:

Thanks James, I read the whole thing a couple of times. Good info that I can use.

But I still need to know if the body & sub-frame are flat or a slight curve to it, at the bottom. I can not tell by mine, it has a inward bend in the outer side of the sub-frame, from backing into something, bending it in lightly. I need to pull it out to get it flat, or more for a out word curve.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

Pat -- As I remember from that earlier thread, the panel below the turtle lid has an outward bow to it. I don't remember about the rear body extension which it sits on, but I would think that it would be straight across the back.

Someone involved in that earlier thread must remember it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

Pat:

Here's a reference containing several posts by Mr. Don Booth who restored a 26 coupe recently.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/390601.html?1385415681

Scroll down to this post-> "By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, October 14, 2013 - 04:56 am"
The photo in the reference appears to me to show the rear panel of coupe body is straight at the lower edge. You have confirmed that it bows outward slightly on the upper edge were it meets the trunk lid.

Respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

James,
Thanks, That really shows the bottom of the back panel, and a lot more. From what I see It's flat, and I'm going to make mine flat across too.

Thanks, Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

I looked at a 26 coupe today. The sub rail looks straight and square but the panel across the rear below the trunk has a slight out bow to it. The bow was about the same bottom to top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 04:22 am:

This picture shows the a slight bow of the trunk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:54 am:

I know the lower panel has a bow at the upper trunk lid, but I was thinking the bottom edge was flat. Am I wrong then?

I just removed the bondo job someone did from the door jams, to the rear corners. Someone had brazed a metal edge, three inches tall to them, and left the old metal under them. I knew I had a real problem, when I needed a one inch bolt, to bolt the front of the fender on. He also glassed the inside, which I removed, I can not find much rusting on the inside. It had at least! 5/8 thick bondo on the pass side corner.(Hard to see dent in picture) I hammered it out some, and will have to see what I need to do. When this cold weather goes away again. (next weekend) He did more damage brazing the metal on, then what needed to be fixed, to start with.
When I removed the glass inside front edge of the quarters, there was 3/4 to a inch deep of dirt, he didn't clean out first. I will remove all his metal, and do it right. May have to replace part of the corner.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 11:12 am:

Forgot the pictures.
The picture before removing the bondo, the lower rear panel was not made to the cross brace underneath, and the panel was split down the middle, bondo over the whole thing to make it look flat. I would knock on it, and it made a thump sound.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 11:17 am:

Pat, My 26 coupe has an original body, no body work or rust. The edge you reference is straight and as you move up to the truck lid it has a slight curve outward to match the trunk lid. Hope this helps. Bob from Humboldt Tn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 11:18 am:

You can see three good size dents on the drivers rear corner, and one above the mess on the passengers side. They should have been knocked out before skinning with some mudd.
I don't know what the extra bolt holes were for.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 11:20 am:

Bob, That helps alot, Thanks!

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

Pat,
I guess all one can say is "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise! (Gomer Pyle voice).
I had a friend who had his Model A coupe for decades, drove it regularly (originally was their only car). When he finally got around to restoring it, he found one corner of the body was almost entirely lead. He sorta wished he hadn't sandblasted so much!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration