Old Photo - Prepping for an auto show in the lobby of the Davenport Hotel, Spokane wa., 1915

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Prepping for an auto show in the lobby of the Davenport Hotel, Spokane wa., 1915
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

Brakes don't fail me now!

The two gentlemen on the ramp behind the car were undoubtedly in that position only because a hefty cable was pulling it uphill or at least holding it there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

I know some people really love their cars but to have the hotel bring it to your room for you is going a little too far!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

Hi Jay,
Fantastic Photo!
Thank you for all the Photos you contribute for us to enjoy!!!!

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

MANY photos exist of this (and perhaps other) auto show held at the Davenport.
It was a big event and lots of pictures were taken. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 02:16 pm:

FWIW - The Davenport was refurbished to a fairly authentic original appearance
about 10 years ago and looks very much like it does in that photo. :-)

The bad news is Detroit quit making real cars about 40 years ago, so previews of
the new cars are now held in the bar soap aisle at any nearby grocery store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

I wonder why that man is in the back seat? It would be lighter and easier to pull the car if he weren't there. Maybe he is disabled and they didn't have an elevator?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

Norm's comment about the man in the back had me looking at the photo again.

Wondering about all those fellows standing and watching. This made me think they are demonstrating how well the car will pull on a steep grade with a load of passengers and the rope attached to the front is a safety measure.

I can't see any reason to have a car on the second floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

Maybe that's just the assembly line at a branch plant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

With the incline of that ramp,I thought the driver would have to back up the ramp.Just kidding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

I'm with Seth on this one.
A short run should get the car up the step portion, but that doesn't explain the two guys behind the car.
The audience is there for some reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

If it is a '15 centerdoor it would certainly have had to back up that incline with the tank under the rear seat.. But it didn't have to when it was pulled/pushed up to the second floor. Why put cars on the second floor, you may ask?

Since there weren't room on the first floor for all of them, of course :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 12:42 am:

I guess you fellas need to stop in at the Davenport and have a look for yourself ! The 2nd
floor has a wide mezzanine where as many cars were shown as there were on the main floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 11:34 pm:

Looks like they made the service ramp too high. A very tall ladder needed to get to the sump plug.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

The two fellows on the ramp behind the centerdoor were paid to sacrifice themselves behind the rear wheels if'n the rope broke ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 06:52 am:

I ran a different version of this photo from another source on The Old Motor and reader Graham Clayton came up with all the details:

The picture is part of an article from the “Spokesman-Review” newspaper, dated May 13, 1915.

The article is titled “Davenport Hotel Lobby the Night before the Auto Show”, and I quote:

“John Doran is shown in front seat and Thaddeus S. Lane, president of the Spokane Auto Show, in the rear of the Ford coupe that was the first car pulled up the steep incline from the lobby to the mezzanine floor of Davenport’s hotel. All the work of putting the cars in place was done between midnight and 4 a.m. Spokane auto dealers worked practically all night to get their exhibits in place. The cars were brought into the hotel through the Elizabethan dining room from First Avenue on a specially constructed runway. The cars were pulled to the mezzanine floor by a double block and tackle.”

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Notice that there is a long beam or some sort of sled under the car that includes a wide wheel chock at the back.

It appears that only the sled is hooked up to the cable - not the automobile itself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

And now, almost exacting 100 years later. Ford's latest unveiling at the 2015 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The New Ford GT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

Ron, Don,t let Burger see this car. He is still drooling over his Aunt,s 52 Desoto in green. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 03:17 pm:

DeSoto only made cars in 1958. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

Burger, I don't quite follow??

DeSoto (automobile)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
DeSoto
The logo of De Soto Motor Company.jpg
Industry Automobile
Fate merged with Chrysler
Successor Chrysler Newport
Founded 1928
Defunct 1961
Headquarters Auburn Hills, Michigan
Products Vehicles

1955 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman ad
The DeSoto (sometimes De Soto) was an American automobile marque, manufactured and marketed by the now-defunct DeSoto Division of the Chrysler Corporation from 1928 to 1961. The DeSoto logo featured a stylized image of Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto. The De Soto marque was officially dropped November 30, 1960, with over two million vehicles built since 1928.[1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

Hal,
Burger knows what he likes! He has a DeSoto that is the precise ONE he wanted. So if he says they only made them in 1958? That is the way it is.

(Not meaning to speak for Burger, or any offense intended toward anybody including other DeSoto owners)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration