One of the worst jobs on a T...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: One of the worst jobs on a T...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 03:40 pm:

...has to be installing the big felt rear axle oil seals.

I drove them in with a piece of conduit, but it was a struggle. Is there an easy way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

Why not use the modern seals. Then you can come up with another "Worst Job". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Ah, but I did. After I got the felt ones in I installed the neoprene seals. They're easy. I figured using both there'd be no chance of oily brakes for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 04:14 pm:

I think the worst job is when you first take it apart and have all the rear end grease, dirt and crumbled babbit to clean off all the parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

I have never done it but I think one of the worst jobs would have to be installing bands in a Center Door!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

Paul, A HUDCO hogshead makes changing bands in a Center Door a snap!

here's a link.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/116389.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

For what it's worth, I don't think there is any job on a T that is not worst. Nothing is easy. There seems to be some problem with everything... or is it just me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

Jay,

I would not be lucky enough to have both a Center Door and a HUDCO hogshead at the same time...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 05:50 pm:

I wouldn't have done it in the way you picture it. I would have worked the outside edge of the felt into the housing and then drive in the center part around the axle. Anyway, I have done it before and didn't think it was the hardest part to do. The hardest part for me was trying to remove, adjust, and install the rear main cap through the crankcase inspection cover. I found it easier to pull the whole engine and remove the crankcase rather than try to work through that small space.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

I don't remember the felt axle seals that I purchased from Chaffins being difficult to install at all. I put them in an Improved Car rear axle without any issues like the ones shown at all. Don't know if that is easier or not with that model as opposed to earlier axles though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

Piston ring compressor then drive them in

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Steve, that is exactly what I am going to do on a rear axle that I'm rebuilding right now. The felts are not fun to install. I stretch the hole open first on an old axle shaft then stick them over the axle and fold the outer edges of the felt down toward the axle shaft then I shove them into the end of the axle housing. Then I push them past the rivet ring with a wooden dowel and hammer. This is, as you know, not easy but, far worse is setting up a mag coil ring or changing bands.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

Trooper, can you please explain?

Thanks,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

Steve,

I have put them in the housing first, starting from the inside, out. In other words, I put them in from the differential end and drive them with a wood dowel up to the riveted inner ring. When I slide in the axle shaft, it seems to go through the hole in the felt much easier. Some grease helps too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

Leave the felts out so the modern seals can get a little lube on their lips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

I grease the neoprene seals when I put them in, and they'll get more grease from what I squirt into the bearings. Next time I'll try Jerry's method of putting in the felts from the other end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

Paul I've got the hogshead if you get your Center Door before I get one(which probably isn't going to ever happen). I don't think mine is a Hudco, but about the same thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

John,

Thanks for the offer but I am sure that your hogshead is very safe and will remain yours for many, many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Jerry, when I bolt the axle that I'm working on now together I'll try that.

Thanks,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 12:45 am:

Ugly jobs on a T?
1: adjusting rod bearings on an early car with one piece pan.
2: dealing with the bands on same car with square hole cover.
3: adjusting rear main on car with three dip pan.
All can be done. None are fun.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 01:05 am:

Steve,

I see a nice, clean work area, no indication of zero degree temps,
no mud, no snow drifts, AND proper tools.

Trust me, things could be MUCH worse !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 01:39 am:

Ah Oh !!! Jelf's got a persuader !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 11:39 am:

Did that actually work out for you Steve? I think I'd have tried to get the outside edge to slip in better.. Metal funnel of some sort or the earlier mentioned piston ring compressor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 11:54 am:

They are a lot of trouble to install, but worth it. I use my hands, and screwdrivers to force them in. Another job I hate doing is trying to get the U-joint into the back of the engine. I've got every tool made for that job, and it's still a problem. Two people are easier than one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

With moderate arthritis in my fingers the two hardest jobs for me on a Model T are.....
(1) Installing the bolts/ nuts and cotter pins on the rear engine wooden support blocks with the body on the frame.
(2) Working on the rear main on a 3 dip pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

There's a real Steveism up there. Tough job, perhaps not the best method for doing it but looking forward to doing it differently/better the next time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

I used just the new seals and so far (less than a year) have been quite happy with the results. Although they haven't been in there long I ran my little 1915 pickup frequently last summer

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration