Old Photo - Brass Era, Ford Factory Floor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Brass Era, Ford Factory Floor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

Nice picture are they 12s or 13s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

Right hand drive 13's? And no oil stains on the floor? Long rear cross member.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

Jay -- as always thank you for posting the great photos.

Yes, Right hand drive. For the date of the model year of the vehicles I think we need to know what country the assembly plant is located.

My first "guess" as I haven't found that photo -- is they are being assembled in England at Trafford Park. Why that location. Well the lamps that are hanging down from the ceiling appear to match the same lamps in other Trafford Park photos (ref page 53 the "English Model T Ford" book (EMTFB)). In that case is is NOT a 1913 as the 1913 English touring had a unique front cowl section. Not real streamlined but NOT just a flat board either. A higher resolution photo would probably allow us to tell if it was the later 1912 or the 1914 touring bodies.

But the round gas tanks allow us rule out the 1912 and 1913 English Fords (ref page 48 EMTFB).

So if they were manufactured in England, I believe they are 1914 model year cars.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marvin turner on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

Why do some of the intake manifolds look to be a different color?
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Maybe this was when production changed from aluminium to cast iron intake manifolds?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

It's a cropped version of this picture of assembly at Trafford Park.

I believe it's 1913, and the differences of the intake color is because it's in the middle of the change from aluminum to cast iron intakes???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 01:53 am:

Note the Towncars at the back of row.
Wish they were clearer!
-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 08:43 am:

I have seen a much higher resolution version of the full photo somewhere... I'll do some searching when I get a chance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Hap,

There are several things which seem to agree with your assessment. Aluminum crank handle, tea-cup drain on pan, two piece driveshaft and curved exhaust extension. Bob spotted the long cross member so July to November 1913?? +/- Probably very early 1914's.

Higher resolution would let us see the door lines. Seem to recall this photo has been shown before several years ago.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william louis rosenthal on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 12:29 pm:

A little fuel for the debate about the muffler insulation being dyed black.
Regards,
Scott

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration