Old Photo -Auto Camping, Pine City Minnesota Campground

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo -Auto Camping, Pine City Minnesota Campground
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 10:33 am:

I think it's interesting that all of the people in the photo are standing posing for the photographer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 10:45 am:

Even the little baby in the lower left front corner is looking at the camera. The only one who isn't is the grumpy old man (lower center)trying to hide in his tent because he is wanted in 7 states.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

I like the RV on the right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

When I was a kid, we'd "go camping".

What that looked like was a tent, camp stove or grille for open fire,
appropriate clothing, rifle and ammo, and all the fishing gear to make
the whole show worthwhile. It also involved no nearby vehicle and a
lot of hiking.

A couple miles from my house there is a "campground" right alongside
the freeway. An enormous sign tells all travelers on the interstate that
great camping is to be had right there amidst the roar of traffic and exhaust
fumes. Good times.

Most of the "campers" are RV drivers with their lumbering tour bus
monstrosities.

I guess we all have different ideas of what "camping" means, but to
this camper, it means NOT being around other people. It means no
electricity, radios, or any sort of home-type convenience (or noise maker).
Getting away from all that is THE point of putting up with all that lack
of convenience. Just you and the sky, the birds, and the sounds of nature.

Not sure if these folks were stopped here while on a long trip to somewhere
else, or if this was their idea of "getting away from it all".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

What struck me is that it looks to be a pretty good sized campground, but every one is clustered in one area. I wonder if it isn't a family reunion or something similar. It is probably on the banks of the Snake river in Pine County, just outside the current Pine City. I would bet someone climbed a tree to get that shot. Anyways, it's a really cool old pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

Campers work all week so they can afford to go pretend they're homeless on the weekends. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 06:04 pm:

Derek, Reminds me of this line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfAvQp-Uk5I

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 06:22 pm:

Years ago Linda & I went to the Squaw Valley swap meet, and camped out north of I-80 on old 89 with the other Chico Model A club members. We brought our old wood-poled, canvas tent and they were in RVs and trailers. I remember at dinner I commented that we didn't eat that good at home--Steaks BBQ'd, salads, baked potatoes--and they had a TV too.
Something just seemed wrong about all that!
For good "Camping Reading" I recommend McManus' "A Fine & Pleasant Misery." Be prepared to laugh a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

David, I had not thought of McManus in years, everything he wrote cracked me up! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

Perhaps they are all camped in one area is because of the well pump. You got to have drinking water!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration