OT, need help figuring out vintage tire sizes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT, need help figuring out vintage tire sizes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 08:48 am:

Thanks for any help. I don't know enough about tires to make this choice.
I have 1932 Model B wheels using a standard 525/550x18 tire (Lucas, Universal, Firestone). I can get 400/525x18 tires (Michelin)that dealer says will work as long as I use the matching inner tube.

Is the smaller tire safe to run, fit of rim wise? Speeds could be up to 50+mph.

Added info, this is going on a 31 speedster with no speedometer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 09:12 am:

I would want the widest tire I could put on that rim for a Speedster. I would put the smaller tires on there as a last resort if the wider tires just weren't available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philippe BROST, France on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 11:39 am:

Are you sure of the size of Michelin tires ?
the first two numbers (here 400 and 525) are the width of the tire in 1/100 of inche but there should be much more narrow like the standard size you mentioned.
Tires from Michelin I know are 550 x 18 or 475/525 x 18 the last one being a little bit too small

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

Philippe, you are correct, the tire is 475/525. I did check with a tire store and they confirmed that the Michelin will fit the rim. Just not as tall or as wide as the standard tire.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration