OT 1924 REO truck

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT 1924 REO truck
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 09:13 am:

I have the opportunity to buy a 24 REO ton truck in really good condition, but the engine needs rebuilt. PArts seem to be made of unobtainium. The REO club website hasnt been much help. Anyone here have any suggestions? 4 cylinder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 09:16 am:

Check with your local machine shop most of the time they have charts of piston and rod sizes and can "match- up" items needed other than block and head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 10:48 am:

How bad does the engine look? I lucked out with my Maxwell engine. It cleaned up nicely and I used all the original parts including pistons and rings. I found some ring expanders for it. I even reconditioned the old head gasket. It runs well and doesn't smoke. You might get lucky.

Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

The problem was that my friend became impatient and put a hole thru the top of the piston. bores look great. Babbitt looks great as well.Figured as long as it was apart it makes sense to re-ring it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

Try Egge Machine Company on Slauson Ave. in Santa Fe Springs, (Southern)CA. They've been around a long time and specialize in uncommon vintage autos.

If they do not have the pistons in stock, they may be able to make one for you. It's worth a shot anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

forgot about egge. thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

No problemo Rob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

A cast iron welder likely would be able to repair the piston

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

Rob,
Our 1936 Reo Flying Cloud has tractor pistons in it.When the engine was rebuilt,the previous owner,matched up the original pistons to tractor pistons.The motor runs like a Swiss watch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 01:53 am:

I did an overhaul job on a '30 Franklin.
Egge sent me rings for a Ford 6 200.
Perfect fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

And if all else fails as far as pistons go, there is always the custom made option. Several companies that make high performance pistons (JE, Wiseco, Probe, Ross) will make anything you want. I find most custom stuff runs about $100-150 a piston. Sounds expensive, but not if you can get what you want--It just won't be cast iron.

Putting in a $800-$1000 in pistons in a V-8 is nothing nowadays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

That actually seems quite reasonable, and added bonus is less reciprocating mass!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration