Tech tips

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tech tips
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

I sent my engine out for o/h and the trans. to another shop for o/h. I had to use separate shops. Hopefully I will be putting them together soon and installing them in my 26 roadster. This is my third T but my first for assembling a short block and installing. I am a motorcycle mechanic NOT a T mechanic. In the old days we used to use gasgacinch in the old cars we worked on as a kid but that was a long time ago. Any advise or tips on what to use or things to do during assembly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

Scott,

I suggest you get the pan straightened, or at least checked. Then you will need to set up the Magneto. Is the transmission shop charging the magnets and leveling? Have you had your coil ring rebuilt yet? A copy of the electrical book will help you as well as advice from the forum. I also work on Motorcycles and learning T hasn't been too difficult.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

Hi John. My car runs off a distributor and the mag has been removed somewhere down the line. The trans guy is checking the pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 03:02 pm:

Spent the last two weeks assembling my first t engine. Built several car engines and motorcycle engines over the years so I didn't think a t engine was any different. It wasn't.

The only challenge I had was getting the runout at the end of the drive plate down to .005". Had to turn the brake drum on a lathe to straighten it up.

I bought all the t manuals from the model t club but didn't use them. I followed the Ford overhaul manual that I had and from Googling what I needed to know.

So far so good, when I place the engine horizontal I have .030" gap on all magnets to coil face :-). Spin the flywheel and get about 2 volts ac.

Good Luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

Very good Phil. Glad it turned out for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 03:58 pm:

Hi Scott,
which shops are doing the work for you?

john

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 04:14 pm:

Philip,
The magneto gap should be set with the engine suspended nose down but the crankshaft free to hang. The .030 is a good clearance, but it should be checked nose down so that you are sure that is the minimum clearance. That way if there is any endplay in the crankshaft, it will be toward the front of the engine. With a rebuilt engine you won't have much play, but it is the safest way to check the gap.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

Hi John. I did a lot of research before picking a shop to do the work and I gotta tell you each and every shop has good and bad reviews. It is amazing that one shop can have so many folks that wont go anywhere else and other folks that wont go near it. They either swear by them or swear at them. Sometimes I cant believe they are talking about the same shop. I try to pick out the hearsay and second hand info. Every shop,,,,, EVERY shop has had someone else redo their work. I wanted a engine build that was as close to bullet proof and long lasting as possible so I wanted the new updated parts including a scat crank. The shop I picked for this build was highly recommended but does not do transmissions so I had to find another well recommended shop for that. It is just a crap shoot picking a place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

If your transmission comes back assembled, I would take it apart and with the engine nose down on a stand install the flywheel and main shaft of the transmission. You may have to play musical holes between the flywheel, crankshaft and mainshaft to ensure the tail of the tranny runs concentric with the new crank. It's pretty simple to check it with a dial indicator. Unchecked, it's a crapshoot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 10:30 am:

http://mtfctulsa.com/Tech/alignment.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Welcome, Scott. Put the Bakersfield Swap on you calendar. It should be the 2nd week of APril.

T guys Tom Lawthers and Russell Nave live in your area. Do you know them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 11:32 am:

Thanks Rick. I would like to get up there for the swap meet. I do not know Tom or Russell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 11:42 am:

It's funny Rick that I have lived here for 40 years and have had three Ts. I drive them to the store and to work all the time. I use my T almost like a daily driver. I run into folks all the time that say they have a T or A in their garage but I never see them driving it. They us it for parades or special occasions but for the most part they just sit. Maybe I'm all wrong but I have my car to drive and enjoy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

I'm with you, Scott. We had a T tour here in October that was cheap, cheap, cheap. No fee, dutch treat. Of all the T owners in this county, I was the only one who turned out for it. Everybody else who did was from out of county and out of state. There must be at least a dozen T's here, but I never see them on the road. I don't get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

I only drive my T a few weekends a month and I usually stay close to home, but have met 3-4 people that have a T in their garage.
I usually get the story that it belonged to their dad or grandfather and they are either afraid to drive it or don't have time.
When I offer to help they come up with a time excuse.

I am beginning to think that over 70% of the T's that exist are just collecting dust in someone's garage or even worse - under a tarp in the yard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

scott,
could you pm me who the shops are.I am in the san fernando valley and looking for someone close by.

Thanks ,
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

John. Did you get my e-mail?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

nothing came out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

Sorry John. H&H flathead in La Cresenta for the engine and The Tin Shed in Santa Fe Springs for the trans. work. H&H came HIGHLY recommended by the T and A guys I talked to and they use the updated parts that I wanted like the scat crank. Thay do not do trans work though so I toke that to The Tin Shed. The tin shed will do original engine work with poured bearing if that is the way you want to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

Sorry for the bad spelling and grammar but I do not type well.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration