Newday timer experience.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Newday timer experience.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

I have used Newdays in the past, but have been an Anderson fan and user for many years. Recently I decided to run a Newday for a while. It had been working quite well for the last couple hundred of miles. The temp had been in the single digits in the mornings for the last week or so. My T has been starting just fine. A couple of days ago the temp warmed up a bit, perhaps to the mid teens in the mornings and just below freezing in the evenings. On Friday my T started just fine in the morning. When I went to go home in the evening, no buzz from the coils. A quick bit of troubleshooting pointed the problem to the timer. When I took it off it looked OK. I cleaned it with a rag and it still wouldn't work, so I sanded it a bit with a piece of garnet paper. It started and ran fine after that. Saturday - same story. Started fine in the morning. When I went to go home, no buzz. This time I looked at the timer a little better and noticed a thin layer of ice. Apparently condensation had frozen to the timer surface making a 100% effective insulator.

This problem doesn't come up much, I suppose, but if it does, this is something to look for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

Tom, there are dozens of New Day Timer models out there.

Some are white, some are brown and some are black and soft.

The older brown model was re-manufactured by a friend in New York State, during the 1960 - 1970 era and they were good.

Some have Pat' Pending at the top and some do not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

James, yes, I know about the various Newday timers. I first started using Newday timers in 1975. I won the Montana 500 in 1977 using a Newday. The one I used in Montana was one made by Gaslight. Very good quality and made from pure bakelite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

The frozen condensation problem would apply to any brush timer, repo or original, and I imagine it could happen in a roller timer too. Something to keep in mind if I ever get out in freezing weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Steve, exactly!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

Thanks Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 08:29 am:

Where is the moisture coming from? I would think the way the timer mounts that a condensation problem would be almost non-existent. Is there a leak in the water outlet / hose, maybe a small leak from the radiator? Worst case is there moisture in the oil that when the motor shuts down is steaming the inside of the timer? I think I would be trying to determine the source of the moisture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 08:34 am:

LOL - temps in single digits. It only happens rarely but any time it gets under 30 degrees down here in the South, there is no reason to be doing anything outdoors.

Also, I had the same question as G.R. where is that much moisture coming from?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 10:35 am:

Moisture gets into everything up here. I have control cables on my tractors that will freeze when the air temp and moisture are just wrong. Seth, two days ago it was 16* inside my shop. Last year it was -19 and after feeding the cows I went into the shop and it felt warm, it was +2. You get used to it. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 10:43 am:

Yeah, you get used to it, sort of, but by February I'm really ready for it to be over. 73 days until spring and Chickasha. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 10:45 am:

Pat Kelly.... "SOME" people get used to it! This old Texas boy is miserable at anything under 65F ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 11:22 am:

Where is the water coming from? I think it is coming from the atmosphere. In order to condense onto the timer, the air with the moisture needs to be warmer than the timer. Here is what I presume happens: When I drive to work, the motor block warms. The timer (made of bakelite) does not warm as much as the block. When the motor is turned off, the heat of the block drives the moisture out of the air which condenses onto the cooler timer. The condensation then freezes. The layer of ice does not need to be very thick to insulate the brush from the timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

Or.....The timer and engine are both warm. It is cold and humid outside. As the engine and timer cool, the air inside contracts and forms a vacuum, pulling in humid air, which when cooled condenses the moisture which collects inside the timer.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration