Ray Wells new bodies

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ray Wells new bodies
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Dwyer in Troy, New York on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

Has anyone experience with Ray Wells and the new bodies he makes for brass T's? Good quality? Fit well? Is he a decent guy to do business with? And all that stuff.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

The bodies I've seen that he made were very nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

I have a 1914 Roadster he made, and I have seen many he has done, and a Towncar.

His bodies are perfect, the ones I have seen.

Herm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

Ray has been around and making Model T bodies for years. His quality is excellent. A few other people were making early Model T bodies over the years but they no longer make them probably because they are too labor intensive for what they can be realistically sold for. I assume it takes a while for Ray (or anyone else) to complete a body so you should probably order one well in advance and be willing to be patient.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

I own a 1914 roadster body. His wood work is very well done. The tin was well done also, it is going to require a bit of metal finishing here and there to be show car worthy. I found him to be honest and straight forward. I would purchase another from him and not think twice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

Ray is a "stand up" guy - easy to work with and will make it what you want it to be, if not stock. He made the "platform" for Diane's Fire Chief's rig which began as a '11 - '12 Commercial Runabout minus the seat as I wanted to utilize this original firetruck seat from the era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Scott-
I had Ray re-work some of the incorrect wood on my 1911. He did a very thorough rebuild, media blasted the metal down to bare metal, and used as much original wood as possible. He did take some "modern" shortcuts, like custom laminating the wood for the seat backs, (which I like because it is a compound curve that will split when you put in upholstery nails) and he used plywood for the "slats" for the under seat hatches. I had to work over a couple of areas that I was not entirely happy with because it was an original car and I'm a little anal that way. Overall I was satisfied with the quality of his work and thought the price was reasonable.

Make sure you communicate very openly with him, and ask questions especially if you want to do anything differently for an original body.

If I needed a reproduction body, I would not hesitate to use his services.

: ^ )

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

I called him several months ago to inquire about a steam-bent tack strip for a '14 Wide-Track Roadster a friend of mine owns.

Left a voicemail message, never returned the call.

We wound-up making it ourselves for my friend's car and a '27 Touring. Not that hard as it turns out.

Never get in the way of an Italian with a mission. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 08:19 am:

Mike is that like never going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line?!? =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 09:31 am:

The '15 Touring body I got from him was adequate.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Seth. I wouldn't know, we're not from Sicily. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 12:52 am:

Had an 11 touring body made by him seen alot of use and was never any trouble

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 01:10 am:

Just remember a Sicilian is not an Italian and you will get along fine with both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:16 am:

Where is Ray Wells? I'm in the market for a tourabout body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:30 am:

El Cajon, California. http://www.the-craftsman.biz/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Wes, Call me at 712-301-7172. I have a tourabout body in Iowa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Roof on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

Does anyone have his phone number? Where his shop is? Does he have a website? I have a friend who is interested in a pick up truck body and bed for a 1915..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 01:07 pm:

Randall -- Click on the website link I posted above. Then click on the "Contact Us" link at the left of their homepage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

I bought a 1913 Touring body from The Craftsman many years ago. It was beautiful and fit perfectly. I'm sure it is still out there looking great.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

You can send him sheet metal to use in a body you've commissioned. In my '14 runabout body, Ray only used the left and right Rootlieb body panels. I sent him the door, seat riser, turtledeck and rear body panel. The finished product - and Ray as an artisan - is superb. My only disappointment is that I sent him a '14 NOS door striker plate with the little sheet metal springs and received back something used w/o the springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

I enquired about Ray Wells on this forum three years ago and the response was positive and that "he will see you right"

I must say that the job on my 1910 Touring was excellent. Ray and his Son were great and also arranged for the paint job and trimming on this triple award winning car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

I bought a 15 body off him 13 years ago or so. The back panel seams were horrible, the lower back corners were filled with bondo over surface rust. The doors didn't and still don't fit. They scrape and hit the body badly. The door latches needed tons of massaging to even latch. The fender brace holes were 1 and 3/4 inches different offset from measuring from the front drivers side back and again from the front to passenger side. The fenders just wouldn't go on where the holes lined up. I need to mig a plate over one hole, and bore a new hole. I needed to take the corners down to bare metal and spend weeks correcting. I also leaded over the replacement back panel to get the seams right. The wood curve where the floor boards meet the side also was so far out of whack that the upholstered side panels didn't fit. I wasn't happy at all with the body I got. I also had to borrow a car for a national tour as he was behind about six months from when he said he's have it done. Maybe it's just my bad luck, but I was very disappointed in this body all around. Shipped from California to Mass, I couldn't feasibly return it for repair. Not trashing the guy, I've got pictures of it all from when it showed up to the rust over bondo to prove it. I'd be careful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

Well now... that shoe dropped with a thud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 09:04 am:

Again, I don't know the man or want to trash anybody. The question was asked "Has anyone experience with Ray Wells and the new bodies he makes for brass T's? Good quality? Fit well?"
This is my honest review of the product I received. I will never forget the joy I had when I opened the crate and saw an awesome looking body, and then the heartache I felt when I saw all the things I listed above wrong. I was told the body would arrive "ready for paint" It took me weeks and weeks of body work to get it where it was acceptable and would look decent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:16 am:

Matt, I had him restore a 1919? coupe body. It was all there but needed all new wood and Ray did a great job of putting in new wood and getting it all reassembled. I had no complaints with his work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:54 am:

I found a similar thread from 2005

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/32669.html?1198650475

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza, north adams ma on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Scott, this guy is close to you and you would save a ton in shipping http://www.everettcurrierfarm.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

I've known Ray for close to 30 years. He has built me an 11 town car body, A 1903 Ford body and has rebuilt a couple of original T touring bodies. I have always been happy with his work and have recommended him to a number of people. He has always been true to his word and is an honest man.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration