Connecting rod question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Connecting rod question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

Just out of the blue today working on something totally unrelated I got to wondering about something.
Why is it with all the adaptations and mods that are done to T's, there is not a replacement insert bearing connecting rod?
Should be simple enough. Mic the crank and have it turned and order a set of rods modified or cast to accept a insert bearing.
Alot of the garden tractor pullers will modify Crossly connecting rods to fit the older Kohler engines because of the insert bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

There is, Forged rods and bearing sets, check vendors catalogs or web sites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

Mack - There are many that could answer your interesting question a lot better than me, but one thing that comes to my mind is the fact that babbitt is more forgiving than insert type bearings in that the inserts will not as readily absorb impurities that are present in an engine with unfiltered oil like the Model "T". Seems like I have heard that insert bearings have been found to be somewhat troublesome in a "T",.....FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 06:09 pm:

It is my understanding that insert bearings require filtered, pressurized oiling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

Yes, that has been mentioned before, I haven't seen a shell insert in person, but the photo's on Langs web catalog look like they show more than enough babbitt to be compatible with a poured rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

If you use insert bearings, how are you going to adjust them when they wear? You would need to buy new inserts every time they need adjusting.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 10:05 pm:

Heck, you can have a block and rods re babbitted for what the rods and bearings cost! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

Lang's inserts are made for the new rods.

If they are like any insert I have seen, the babbitt might not be more then .001 to .005 thousandths thick.

I think they look like they have thick babbitt, from the large depth of the grooves.

The rods also say that they don't recommend running the inserted bearings with out oil pressure, and filter.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

I found out that these bolts need to be replaced if they have been through a number of run cycles like when you take up the babbitt or replace the shells. (the new forged rods, babbitt or insert type)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration