OT - re-cored Model K radiator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - re-cored Model K radiator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

Picked up our Model K radiator today from Tom's Radiator in Sabetha KS. New core and polished brass:

Next to a T radiator Tom is working on:

Tomorrow I pick up bored jugs, new pistons and valves from Bill Devine and on to Dean's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

Hope it isn't a silly question, but what do the tubes do in the vicinity of the crank hole? Do they bend around it, or are the few tubes that would intersect the crank hole just blocked off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

Round or flat? And I want to know about the crank hole also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

Better stop at the bank somewhere along the way. None of that work looks cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

A radiator with a belly button :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Mark,
The cores around the crank hole dump into a manifold, continuing on the bottom of the hole.

Jerome,
I went with oval. Round would have taken six months, and I plan to drive the car extensively. I may have been OK with the original core, but about 25% was blocked. I saved the original so a future owner may be able to copy or return it. This is the third K radiator Tom has repaired, and the first the core needed to be replaced on. :-(

Kevin,
I was pleasantly surprised, $1,100 for a new core, some machine work on threaded passages, build the crank box and polish.

Denny,
That's one way to look at it (what would the engine side be?).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

Rob

What does the backside look like?

We didn't get Pellini.

Have you taught Holly how to polish brass yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

Dave,
Same as the front, except not polished. He's going to Youngstown State, and NO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 08:42 am:

I would suppose the radiator cap is unique for the K?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:27 am:

He recored my T radiator for $800. Cheaper than a new one, and I got to keep the original tank, which I like better than the repo tanks I've seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 05:59 pm:

John,
Yes, a unique cap.

Steve,
Tom has now rebuilt/renovated one Model N, three K and one brass T radiator for me. I've seen about ten other brass T radiators at his shop. I don't believe he had ever touched a brass radiator prior to a farmer friend telling me about him.

Tom also came to the New London to New Brighton tour last year to check his handiwork. He owns a Model A, older Ford truck and is doing a rotisserie restoration on a Mach 1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 06:02 pm:

Rob, he's worth a phone call just to listen to him talk. I have enjoyed the calls I've had from him.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration