Lets see some speedsters

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Lets see some speedsters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 06:58 pm:

Here's our 1927 speedster. A.K.A. "The Beater"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

model t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard e moore on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

Stayed up halve the night drawing up a mid engine speedster. Shouldn't eat chocolate Ice cream before I go to bed. Wife found the drawings this morning and I may be moving into the shop. Now I'm going to build it just to spite her. Can't get the thing out my head now. Scary!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

LOTS of vintage speedster and racer pictures posted here: http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/16-Authentic-original-speedster-pic tures

and some really cool ones here as well: http://www.nwvs.org/lawrence-o-hughie-hughes-auto-racing-photo-collection/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

In front of my son's dorm in Madison.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

Even runs in the rain (but dry is a lot more fun).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 08:32 pm:

Mines not finished yet, and everyone is probably sick of seeing it, as it is the current project, But by springtime, Maybe. ????

speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

Here are 2 I built and one I helped a friend with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

Always wanted a boat tail so I built this one a couple years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

REALLY cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

Bob do you have any picture of the progress while building your speedster?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

They were lost in a computer crash.
I spent a couple weeks mocking it up out of cardboard until I had the look I wanted.
It's built very similar to a boat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 09:54 pm:

My friends Dennis Schaper 1912

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 12:58 am:

Here is mine. My grandfather built it in 1972. This is the third body style. I really gotta get off my butt and install the Rajo BB i bought several years ago.

speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen 40 miles west of chicago on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 01:58 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 09:25 am:

Here are a couple of photos of our speedster. One from last week and one from this morning. We are getting it ready to tour in Canada in July.last weektoday

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Carbon Canyon T Club Speedster guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sullivan, Powell WY on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 10:56 am:

My 1922 in progress, test fit of "body". Cowl and hood not installed yet. Looks like additional air needs to be installed in front tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 10:56 am:

Dennis, your speedster is looking good!

Here is mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 10:59 am:

Looks good Mike! We were looking for a bigger tool box for the back but i see yours is about the same as ours. I wanted to relocate the battery to the tool box, but can't find anything large enough that looks good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 11:05 am:

Richard can you post more pics of that yellow speedster? That thing is beautiful. I see what looks like a Warford and Rocky Mountain brakes. Do you have any pics of the dash and engine?

Here's Eliza - working on making some Ford wire wheels work with the small drum rear end. Once I get the wires on I have some really cool Mercury Speedster style fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

This is a great thread. It is nice to see what the rest of you have.
Seth, that is a great low angle shot of Eliza.

This has a Roof low compression head. Maybe more trouble than it is worth by I like having it. We put a back seat on it as the family grew from 1985 to 2005 or so.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

Under Construction

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

I like it! I have so much stuff to do to Eliza but ultimately I want to make her look more like a finished product the way your speedster is. The fenders I have definitely give her a much more refined look. If I can get my wheels done then I can get the fenders finished and sent off for plating.

Mainly still need to clean up the body and repaint it and mount my spare tire on the back. I have a beautiful hickory tool box that my father in law built me but it's just too dang big. Doesn't go well with the rest of the car because of its size. Will probably just mount the spare at an angle on the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

here's mine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

Mike - Will you be ready to run this summer? Missed you out on the runs last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

Hey Walt,
Helen will probably give you a better answer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Penserini on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 03:01 pm:

I have Mercury poisoning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

How my speedster the Becker special../

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

Walt, yes I really hope so. As of now I have all the parts done and machined ready to go back together. Problems started for me almost 2 years ago when I snapped the main shaft in the seattle 3 speed overdrive transmission. I had a new shaft made and have been chasing other worn parts ever sense. I did have the car out on a few runs this year with a standard rear end, never very far.
My biggest problem this year has been balancing all my car projects with time spent helping at the Lemay car museam.......also I need to stop buying any more cars.......so they say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

Here's a bunch of Speedsters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

Here's a bunch of Speedsters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

My 1919. Was my grandfather's in the '20s. Then my dad's in the '50s - '70s. Just back on the road this past March after 35 years in a garage disassembled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

Action shot of the Mercury

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

Trooper built it. I've made a couple modifications and still have some changes in mind. I like the fenderless look and so far it hasn't caused any issues. The mechanicals are very strong. Apparently Trooper knows something about what he's doing.☺️ Any modifications will be minor. The most important has to involve comfortable seats. I really like my sedan and my touring but my speedster is the most fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 03:49 am:

This is my project speedster. I have stopped until I get the title figured out.speedster project

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 06:31 am:

Here are my fenders that will be brass plated. Really changes the whole look of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 07:04 am:

Mike.... That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me here.... ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 07:19 am:

OK, since nobody else seemed to notice it, I would like to see more pictures of the V8 powered 8N in the first picture!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 07:57 am:

The speedster in front has a HAL overhead.
The speedster in front has a HAL overhead. The second speedster is pretty much stock, including the early 1915 drive train (engine cast date November 1914).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 08:22 am:

Randy what's a HAL overhead? Never heard of one of those before. Can you show pics of the engine? I really like the wire wheels you have!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 08:30 am:

Seth,
The HAL I have is the same one featured on pages 42-43 in our latest edition of the Vintage Ford. I will try to post some pics later today.
The wire wheels are Pasco. The other one has Dayton pin drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 08:52 am:

View of the engine.HAL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:10 am:

That looks wild - haven't seen anything like it before. What ignition are you running and what carb?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:15 am:

Holy smokes! Now I remember hearing about this overhead. It uses ball bearings inside tubes to replace push rods and rocker arms. How does it run, does it go like stink?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:32 am:

This is not the one with the ball bearings. It is the earlier model with the deep oil sump surrounding the valve train, keeping everything well lubed. It is identical to the one on page 43 of the Vintage Ford, Volume 49, Number 6.
It has a front plate distributor with an early Delco 6v coil. Currently has a side draft Walbro carb, which I hope to replace with a Stromberg OF.
It is not really fast off the line but easily cruise at 50 mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:54 am:

Here is a site with some pictures of the HAL ball bearing valve actuation engine:

http://www.nwvs.org/Technical/Engines/ModelTE087.shtml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 11:40 am:

Troop, it's easy to say nice things about most anyone, and I've considered you a good friend for awhile now. Regardless of all the negatives that can come from this forum there are as many or more positives. With this many guys you have to deal with egos, sarcasm and way too much testosterone but in the end the good always floats to the top. It's easy to tell who the real craftsman and mechanics are on here and those who think they're mechanics and craftsman. It's just my opinion but I feel a real Model T aficionado is someone who can know what will work and doesn't immediately go to the catalogs and take the easy way to assure their cookie cutter cars match the one that everybody else has. Being able to read a micrometer to check bearing wear or axle shaft wear and knowing enough about materials to know what parts have life left in them rather then immediately pulling out your wallet and throwing money at something is what impresses me. I know and understand what you did to assure the longevity of the mechanicals in the Pollinator. I'm confidant the car will be a reliable little buggy for years to come. Guys like you and Herm Krohnke and a few others on this forum are a dying breed that won't be around in a few decades and the rest of us are really going to feel the loss. For the most part because we let our arrogance, our egos and our wallets stand in the way of learning from the great knowledge resource that's available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rusty Berg - West Bloomfield, MI on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

I'm a new guy posting to this forum (have been reading it for a while) and Model T's (although I have experience with a couple of old cars of the Bowtie Brand...)

A friend of mine put together this 1923 Speedster (I helped on a few small things) out of a basket case touring car pulled from a barn in Missouri. I fell in love with it and we made a deal. The idea was to preserve the patina of the car while making an excellent driver. The car frame was modified to lower the car, and extend the wheelbase. Of note, the seats were hand made (metal and leather), and are quite comfortable to ride in. Helping him sew the pleats in the seats was quite an experience.

1923 Speedster with Bonfire

It has a transmission out of a 1923 Chevrolet Superior after the Ford transmission, utilized as an underdrive/direct box with the 3:1 rear end gears. The engine was built with domed pistons, advanced cam gear, small block Chevy valves and the plan is to test some different carburetion and exhaust configurations, along with the installation of an E-Timer (no mag on this car) to help with running the coils on the 6 volt battery to fix the timing advance issue whilst preserving the coil based system.

The picture is of the car in front of the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology [Terre Haute, IN] Homecoming Bonfire.

Thanks for reading,

Rusty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

Rusty do you have any pictures of the transmission setup?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

As requested

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 06:14 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

This is my first post with pictures of my 1913 Speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Good looking Peter. I like the Bosch Mag. DU4?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

Rusty, that speedster is a work of art. The transmission setup sounds interesting. I'd be interested in seeing how it's setup too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

Peter -- What type of steering box did you use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

Nice Pete - cross drive mags are super cool. I also like those fenders. Any plans to put similar on the rear wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

Peter, Nice Speedster! How about a few different angle photos of how the front motorcycle fenders are mounted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rusty Berg - West Bloomfield, MI on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

Jason,

I went out to the shop to snap a photo (barely kept my fingers as it is colder than the winter of eighteen-hundred and froze-to-death... :-D ), I don't have much light out there, so my apologies for how dark it is:

Speedster Transmission Front

With the seats and body on, you cannot see the cross member that is bolted on the back of the transmission for support (without crawling under). I don't have a really good photo of it, but this one might at least give you an idea (the transmission and shortened drive-shaft were originally painted white, they are now black):

Transmission Crossmember

Mike,

I very much appreciate the compliment. However, I cannot take all the credit, as my friend Aaron Rogahn (who also reads the forum and is starting on his next speedster project at this time) was the mastermind behind this build. I provided some minor assistance, mostly electrical in nature, but he did all the heavy work.

My apologies to all if this post has gone too long and if the pictures are too big, I am still trying to get the hang of re-sizing.

Thanks for reading,

Rusty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Graeme Lockhart on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 12:01 am:

I'm a new guy posting to this forum also infact this is my first I have been reading for several years and modeled my speedster on many cars discussed on this forum. I have recently completed my 1914 Speedster. I took the vehicle to a Place called Lake Perkolli near Kalgoorlie Western Australia, were the Centenary of Motor Sport was run, followed by a week long National Veteran Rally around Kalgoorlie. My car ran faultlessly and clocked up over 5oo km. It has taken two years collecting parts etc from all over Australia and I built it in just over 8 months. I have now begun restoring a 1911 Tourer 1914 model T speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 01:06 am:

That Auzzi speedster, it looks lowered. How difficult is it to register a lowered T over there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Graeme Lockhart on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 01:47 am:

Hi Kep , yes my Special T is lowered approximately 6 inches. The front suspension is moved forward and up and the rear section of the chassis is 'Z'ed. the rear radius rods attach to the side rails and the front wishbone has been lengthened
I spent a lot of time doing the math on chassis design , drive line angles etc to achieve a good result. Then engine is moved back slightly and up approx 1 1/2 inch. I have used two hand brake cross shafts coupled to allow it to all move back. The steering coloum has had the outer tube shortened but the shaft is standard length.
The car performs very well on the road and steers excellent, I averaged 60kmh during the national rally and had the ocasional burst of speed to just over 80kmh.
Licencing here in Western Australia is done through the Car Clubs and it is consessional(can only use on club organised events)
The vehicles undergo initial inspections for roadworthyness and then an anual safety inspection follows. Full rego can be obtained but this required all functioning modern lights and seat belts to be installed installed. This is an expensive option

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 02:41 am:

Graeme, your double SU carbs are interesting - were there lots of adjusting and testing of different needles until you got it to run right?
I'm thinking a 3L four that revs 1500-2000 rpm could use about the same carb setup as some 50's british sports car that may have half the displacement but double rpms?

And I guess 80 km/h (50 mph) was far from full throttle? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 06:38 am:

Mike the steering box is from a 1916 490 chev.Works very good at higher speeds.A long time ago an oldtimer told me thats what they used and I never forgot some things stick in your mind for a long time.the front crossmenber was cast at the foundry in town using a pattern my son and I made notice the ears that hold the box like the factory did.Jay car is apart for paint but the fender bracket bolts thru the speedo mount cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 11:07 am:

I am amazed to see so many nice Speedsters and to hear from some new folks.

This is a well used one a friend of mine has. I built the seats and cowl for my Yellow one in the 60's and traded them off when I was refining it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 11:39 am:

I find it interesting that the majority of speedsters pictured are of the platform design. Open cockpit, exposed fuel tank, bucket or bench seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 11:48 am:

Brian, it's on the bench, next up after I finish two Holley G's that REALLY need to be in a box today or tomorrow.

Randy, an OF is not carburetor enough for that setup. You need to go to a Stromberg OS-1 or a Zenith H4PS, HP4A or similar. An OF will run out of air if that engine runs like it looks like it will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 11:52 am:

What carbs are people using?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

Peter, I love how you have decorated you living room. :-) You are either single, or have a very wonderful wife. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

I have a Zenith S4BF with correct Zenith intake. The intake works well with my DU4. According to Stan a lot of the Zenith intakes ended up ground out - it has an unusually small diameter and very rough surface inside. I had a U&J intake that I had mounted the S4BF to and I think the Zenith intake works better for the carb.

Starts up easy peasy from cold but can be a bit fussy to restart when not warm but not all the way cold yet. AWESOME acceleration and the top end is downright scary. No clue how fast she'll go (got scared at 62 mph) or what kind of gas mileage I get as I can't keep my hand out of it. =)

I really want one of Stan's rebuilt U&J's - especially since he's suggested that it has even more zoom than my Zenith. Although I'm not sure if it'd fit with the DU4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

Here's the model A accessory carb I'm using on my primitive pickup, a Tillotson XF:

carb

Unfortunately I can't fit the generator with this modified std intake, so I'll have to make or find another intake manifold to keep using this carb. But maybe I'll try double SU:s instead..

Seth asked about my seats in another thread - they may fit better in this thread since they're lowered and the body is homemade..

tractor seats
side view

I measured the seating position and it's similar to my '26 runabout, 66 inches from the radiator mounts. The big difference from the runabout is the floor level, 4 inches above the frame on the pickup since I kept it level all the way forward, while it's only 1.5" above the frame in the runabout. That's the main reason I had to flip the steering wheel to get space for my knees since the steering column is lowered compared to standard just like the seats. Here's a picture from under the body showing a piece of flat iron that connects the spring bolt with the second wooden crossmember under the floor to spread the load from the seat:

underside

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 02:06 pm:

Here's a quick sketch of what I want to build--a boat tail with the reverse stern that was popular around 1880s. Trunk, cockpit--but no top! :-)
first the sketch
.speester sketch
then with some color added--think of the fenders/ running boards, hood in dark maroon. Body in light wood with dark caulkingcolor sketch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

David that looks fantastic. I see exactly what you are going for and I think it would be gorgeous.

I hope you get to work building it! I might steal your sketch design and make my own one day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

Seth, that would be a great compliment. I have a chassis (extra) but there's a few other projects WAY ahead of that one--meantime, I keep refining the design in my head (Danger, Will Robinson!!) This is the first time I sketched it out, and it was a quick one while on phone hold. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Penserini on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

David, I found this inspirational photo on the internet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sullivan, Powell WY on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

Thanks for the update, Stan. It was 10 degrees in my shop this weekend. The engine is so stiff it will not run any time soon, so all good here relative to urgency. Photo of it in-progress would be interesting to me, particularly the venturi replacement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

Mike,
Is it still a boat"tail" when the bow is used? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

Jason - I currently have a Stromberg RF on my 1919. I've had it up to 65 mph and still had throttle left.

You can see the carb below the home-made manifold for the RAJO head, as well as the Holley pressure regulator mounted on the firewall in the lower left area of the photo.

I need to have an adapter made for my fresh (from Stan) Stromberg OS-1, which is sitting on a shelf anxiously awaiting some action!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

A friend's project

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

Mike,
That's not quite what I had in mind, but it IS clever!
Bow-Tail????
I wonder if he keeps the T registered as a boat???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Graeme Lockhart on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

Hi Roger, to answer the carburetor question , they are 1 1/4 su's off an early mini not exactly sure the year. They were chose over a matched pair due to the restriction we face with RHD, the steering column is in the way. The manifold is just a couple of 30 degree exhaust bends attached to the exhaust manifold header plate with some insulation blocks to stop vapourisation.
When first assembled the engine ran poorley the carburetors kept spiting back and lots of backfiring etc. It turned out to be the exhaust system, as I had made it free flowing without any back pressure the extractors have primary pipes of 1 1/4 into the collector pipe which is a TT Truck drive shaft tube, tapered from 1 1/4 to 3 in. The rest of the system is 3 in pipe. I installed a muffler(hot dog) and created some minimal back pressure. I also installed a balance pipe between the two carbs. it now runs well, Idles at 300 rpm and pulls exceptionally well, starts instantly with out choke. The needls and jets are all standard as is the damper spring. I used a balance gauge to tune them.Fuel ecomomy is pretty average I realise they are not period correct but work fine all the same. Yes 80kmh = 50mph and yes I backed off, not the car it has much more to give :-) will try one day

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barchock Canton, Mi on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

The start of mine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

Graeme - Love your 14 speedster. Looks well sorted. Couple of questions. Are your saying that the needles in your SU carbs are stock mini.?
Also - that front spring mounting bracket looks an interesting arrangement - could you post some clearer photos of it?
Kume

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Graeme Lockhart on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Hi Ken, thanks for the kind words,
Yes the needles in the SU's are the original ones fitted to the mini, I checked and they came off and 850 cc mini early 60's, I stripped them replaced the needle and seat and float gasket and just reassembled them, I use Auto Trans fluid in the dampers and they have red band springs. I did have to rotate the fuel bowls to level them up.
For the front suspension, I copied a design I had seen on this forum some time ago, but basically had to engineer my own version. The original front crossmember was taken off and moved back and up to the top of the frame. A rear crossmember was adapted to the front I have used hot rivets and welded some joints. the two adaptors have been cut from 10mm plate and a small piece of front crossmenber was attached. I should point out I did not destroy any good frames for this project they were bits and pieces I picked up. I can find the template I made for the adaptors and post a pic over the weekend. hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

well mine is still in the putting it back together stage, trying to stay with close to period correct idea's
DASH
WHATS LEFT OF SEAT
REAR QUARTER
FRAME AND ENGINE
RAD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Seth, I have an unused U&J that Stan Howe restored about 5 years ago. I have it listed in the Classifieds under Another U&J for sale.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

Lol Tom I know! If I had money I'd have already bought it from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Granger, Washington on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Graeme - thanks for the additional picks - nicely done - a template would be great. I have a pair of SU's I was thinking of using - pretty sure they are 1 1/4 mini but was unsure of needle to use for application to a T so sounds like I should leave originals in.
cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 12:01 am:

Since this is a speedster post I think I can ask this question. On my speedster the seats are level. On others the seats are angled back so that the front of the seat is higher than the rear. Those who have done this - do you think it is more comfortable and you can drive longer distances with your seats tilted back? Is this method more ergonomic?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 12:27 am:

T 03
First foray into the "T Illness" at age 20. First start after 2 1/2 years of work.

T 09
All worth it though after 3 1/2 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 12:50 am:

Too much inspiration. i can't handle it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 05:38 am:

Dave~ in my opinion the seats angled back are more comfortable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 06:27 am:

Sean that picture of you at 20 is so cool my monitor has some frost on it. Pic should have a caption "James Dean drives a Model T".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 09:14 am:

Andy Loso's speedster

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/a1o8et.jpg[/IMG]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

Seth: That look I'm sporting is the result of an all day/all nighter a buddy and I spent getting all the sub assemblies connected to the frame. We were pretty frazzled by the time of this first start. The jumper cable on the firewall was for shorting out the mag to stop the engine. Hidden in this view is the handkerchief tied onto the cylinder head leak absorber!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

This is my brother's 1916 speedster. It was build in El Paso, TX by Bruce Utterback. My dad took a call to El Paso when I was 4 and promptly found the local HCCA club to find friends with similar interest in old cars. Dad's 25 T Coupe wasn't running right, so Bruce conjured up one of his iron duke dizzy setups for the car. Ever since then Bruce would drive his speedster to our house and take me and my brothers for a ride. I loved riding in it and was eager to watch him shift the Warford on the fly. At that time, the car was green and the front fenders moved with the wheels. Well, 4 or so years ago, my brother took his family to his wife's home town between Amarillo and Lubbock right when the Chickasha swap meet was going on. He snuck out & went up there to check things out & stumbled across Bruce's speedster for sale. It was well used and somewhat run down. The fellow selling it was an old friend of Bruce, who had long passed. He started telling my brother about the T, but my brother promptly stopped him and said he knew everything about the car since the early 80's. A deal was made and it is in our family's possession now. It's comforting to know that his car is safe and will continue putting smiles on our kids faces just like he and his car did for us years ago.16 T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

Aaron -- Nice-looking car, and a great story. It's wonderful that your brother was able to find and buy that car of which you and he have childhood memories. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

Another friend building his speedster right from ground up with custom made frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 06:55 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 07:40 am:

any suggestions for a better carb/intake setup? Engine is 30 over with a shaved head 280 cam and a Texas T distributor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 08:43 am:

Jason that's a really cool exhaust. You ought to buy the U&J intake and carb that is for sale in the classifieds. Lots of ZOOM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Meakin on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

1918 Paco Rear Angle

Here is our 1918 Paco bodied speedster. This pictured was taken shortly after we finished restoring it.

Me and my brother also made a short video with the car earlier last year http://youtu.be/vq8gsHWcRT0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

Joe~ do you have an pics of the restoration?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

Yeah man, pics of the restoration and more pics of the car and engine Joe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

Holy crap - you're going down the wrong side of the road, Man !!!!! ;>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

This is our speedster. We built it in 1992, it has won three speedster events over the years and is the most fun you can have on four wheels. I took it out today to a century old race celebration. Ran good but blowing smoke, guess it needs a ring job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 10:00 pm:

Hi Chris,

When did you get the second one? They both look good. Are they "His & Her's"? Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Chris: That's a nice pair ;) They must look great going down the road together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 12:26 am:

I wonder who polishes their brass and who does not. :-)

Great looking pair of Speedsters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 01:32 am:

This is our '24 Speedster. Photo taken August 2011 leaving Edmonton for Spokane for the NWVS Labour Day Classic Endurance Run. 650 miles each way plus 200+/- for the run itself. We've driven down for this event three times.

Nothing revolutionary mechanically, but the claim to fame for this rig is the foot pegs each side so much more comfortable on long trips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 10:46 am:

The red one in my picture belongs to a friend of my son's and lives in Pelham. He polishes. I'm too lazy!

When I was looking for a "fun car", it was partly because I knew of that car that I ended up with a T.

Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Meakin on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

Paco Engine

Here is a quick snap of the engine from our speedster. We've done quite a bit of tidying up since it was taken though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Meakin on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

(Message edited by joemeakin on January 13, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

What size exhaust is that Joe? Beautiful sound. Who made it? (the exhaust system that is)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

Sweet looking engine bay Joe !!

Here's one I like !! (not mine) On the "Breeze Thru the Trees" endurance run out of Ukiah 10 years ago.

TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Meakin on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

Mercury Speedster

I think thats the same one I saw in Utah a couple years ago Wayne, had a repaint since your picture. Is a very nice car though, seemed to pass our stock tourer pretty quickly as well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kent sumner on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

my 1919 pikes peak climber

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kent sumner on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

Dads 25 fronty ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kent sumner on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

one more shot of the pikes peak front end

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

Always wanted to use one of Dick Williams fiberglass Morton & Brett bodies but couldn't find one, so I bought a car and ended up using just the body and frame. Just beginning to set the car up now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

Here are some pictures that someone had requested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

You need a carburetor........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

Stan he was asking for a suggestion earlier. I said he should he that U&J. =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

The header looks great. One of Uncle Stan's carbs would let it come alive! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

Actually I think he did. The one from Tom. Tom is going to send it here, I'm going to check it out and send it on to Jason. That last comment was kind of a joke for Jason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

Here is the U&J that Jason will get to enjoy.

carb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

That will look (and work!) Soooooooooo much better than that NH! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Just hit those carbs and manifolds with a bronze paint spray can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 11:10 am:

John,
I don't think that's a T engine. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 10:26 pm:

Henry, I'll bet there's a few T's with the engine John is showing around Modesto.. Well, that's what the DMV might have them registered as.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 12:00 am:

Pretty much stock parts, but is still a lot of fun.Kevin's Speedsteer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

I think it's time for a "Let's see some speedsters II" This is getting to take a long time to load.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration