I posted this on the 14 site

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: I posted this on the 14 site
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

I posted this on the 14 site and got chewed out, so I decided to move it where is should be:

The Web Master for the MTFCI did a good job getting that forum back on line. I think he's a little disappointed that we don't use it more. Why not give it a try, even if we double post here and there. The learning curve is very small. TNX

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

In 25 minutes this post was buried by 12 posts. That's a bunch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

I'll bump it back to the top. I have been reading and some posting over there. I have few bugs to work out to get my photo to be SMALLER! LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

1. You have to pay to see the tech area.
2. It's a bit too airy over there.
3. I got tired of registering, re-registering and re-re-registering.
4. There's a few that have taken "ownership" of it. (See #2)

No number but why sift through the same posts you see here but bloated over many pages. This site is quick and compact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 12:19 am:

By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 04:10 pm:

Here are some discussions about the forum software from the past.

2007 http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=29&post=48639

2011 http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/210604.html

2011 http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/222435.html?1310168012

2012 http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/311347.html?1347548608

I have read all your thoughts and understand what everyone is saying.

I know a lot of you would like to leave the forum as it is but we are in danger of having a problem that we won’t be able to fix. I have talked to Mark from the MTFCI in the past and we both have the same issues with support. As mentioned the Discusware software is still working but neither Mark or I can directly support it. It has a copyright date of 2002 and not had an update for approx. 5 years. The only support we had was a web page and that disappeared about 2 years ago.

I have basically short listed the forum software between vBulletin and phpBB. You can see a phpBB forum on the Early Ford Registry website here
http://earlyfordregistry.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2

Stayed tuned for further information.

Just a friendly note from your webmaster and forum police officer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Kahler- Springfield, MO on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 12:19 am:

Hal, I'm new at this site and the other site. I feel I have learned this site pretty well on posting and uploading. When I am on the MTFCI site it feels like I am on on dial-up. I did not have too much of a problem registering, but it took minutes to change pages. I seems like their web host is not giving them any band width. I am going to look in to this and make sure I am not doing some thing wrong. My down load speed runs between 20-38 Mbps. Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 01:36 am:

I just posted a comment on the MTFCI forum with no trouble. Your band width remark may be right, because some of the pictures are slow to show up, but otherwise I've had no problem there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 10:53 am:

What/where is "the 14 site"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 10:56 am:

I think he means the 2014 Forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 11:42 am:

I closed my family web site due to software "upgrades". I refused to spend $500 for the new software and they no longer supported the software I was using.

I know it is called "progress" but for sites that never intended to generate revenue, progress can close them down or limit what is offered.

Frustrating to say the least.

I to have had no problems with the MTFCI site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

John, there's free software you can download. I use Kompozer. Easy peasy.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/blog115.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

It seems that some people find it's a lot easier to bitch, moan, and groan about the MTFCI Forum then to buck up and contribute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 12:03 am:

There is no website.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 01:32 am:

U guys are great and all of the opinions expressed here have merit. I too have trouble with change (I still prefer the King James Version), but I like the "I" forum too. We may not need two forums, but then, the same could be said about having 2 clubs. In a general way the MTFCI takes in the folks East of the Mississippi and MTFCA the west. (Am I preaching to the choir again????) (I was born in "32 and I consider everyone that was born before that to be approaching "old age")

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 03:17 am:

The "other" site is still too graphic oriented for my dial-up connection, so I'll stay here!
David Dewey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 06:42 am:

First thanks to all the folks making the forums available. And to those posting on them.

For David -- David,

It has been a long while since I was on dial up. But when I was, in my Microsoft browser back then there was an option to "NOT" display any pictures or animations. If there were no pictures the pages loaded the same. If there were lots of pictures the page loaded much faster. And if I wanted to see the picture, there was a box that often had a title or the file name that had been loaded. I clicked there and it displayed that picture. So even on a long thread with lots of photos, I only displayed the photos that had been added since I last saw the thread. I don't know if the current browsers still offer that feature or not -- but it might be worth a look.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:37 am:

1. If the MTFCA changes their program, it is my hope that they have some means or methods to be able to craft a site to our desires and not one like the MTFCI which according to them is the one that all car clubs are now using.

2. Start the installation program for the forum
at least one year in advance before going on. Have the company installing the program set it up and make sure it is running as advertised.

3. Take a bunch of computer challenged members like myself to test the program it self

4. The program should be able to transfer your profile data from the old program to the new. If
not, then the re-registering should be a 1,2,3,
deal without having to jump through the hoops.

5. I think that those who use the forum and / classifieds would agree that what we are currently using is acceptable.

6. I have 7 computers, I use off line and all of them have Windows XP and they work extremely well for what I am using them for. One does not necessdarily need all the bells and whistles that are loaded into soime programs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 11:14 am:

I have nothing against change per say. I'm a member of various forums with a range of software used. VB is great forum software but it's generally slow and down right boring without "the bells and whistles". And, I haven't seen a forum that uses VB that doesn't slowly work advertising into all the blank (wasted) space on the screen and claim it's necessary for support.

PHP is just plain ugly to me. It's too cartoon looking. They have assumed the "Metro" look that I despise. The graphics team must have been X-Microsoft employees that came up with the "Ribbon" format. The trend is to make the portable screens and desktop screens the same. To me, it makes the screens look like they were designed for a three year old--The same blunder Microsoft made with Windows 8.

Both require a lot of support and customizing to make a great forum site. But you will have the portable crowd driving the look when most of the participants are sitting in front of a desktop in the evening. And for that, I dislike the new forum software. It slows it down. And it increases the risk of malware from third-party ad links that aren't controlled until after the fact.

My personal gripe with MTFCI is not with the software but has always been their lack of sharing information. It's what drove me to this site; Old software or not. MTFCI collects information from the participants then locks access to it except for paying members. How is that promoting the exchange of Model T knowledge?

Gripe, complain and don't contribute? Yes, but well founded as far as I'm concerned. The information is available elsewhere. And no amount of harassment and ridicule will get folks to participate in a forum that's strictly driven by cash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

Ken,
Since the introduction of the new website, you do not have to be a "paying member" to access anything. The Tech Info, and everything else on the MTFCI website, is now available to anyone, please check it out.
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Hap,
The "new" (I'm still on Windows 7) email programs apparently don't offer that option. I am having to almost daily go to the web-based email and delete without seeing them, large file emails. Very frustrating, same with Firefox; if the site has images, it wants to load them. I think modern software engineers assume a fast connection.
I called the FCC about the federal plan to have high-speed internet in rural areas--their response. "California is not a rural area!" They must live on the west coast and think we all live on the beach or in LA. Well, I have three fallen trees to cut up, I'd better get to it--we had a wind storm day after Christmas & I've been procrastinating!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

Thanks for the update, Russ. It would be welcome news (even if it was 15 years late) if it were true. But it isn't. I got this reply on my second attempt to view a publication just to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

David, I think Hal was talking about a browser. The option to display or not display images is still in Microsoft Internet Explorer (through V11). I have no idea about the other browser offerings such as Firefux or Chromaxum. :-)

The setting is under Advanced settings tab of Internet Options. See image below.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

Russ, apparently Ken is correct about the membership requirement. At least some of the tech section contains this:

Due to the size of the Digital Library, the online library consists of only a limited number of original Ford Model T manuals, pubs, parts listings, literature, and other related material.

The complete MTFCI Digital Library is available on DVD for purchase through the MTFCI Online Merchandise Catalog.

One of the benefits of membership is free access to these publications and service bulletins. Please don't abuse your membership privileges by giving out your membership number or downloading and sharing these publications with non-members.

But I don't have a problem with that. I pay for the local public library with my taxes, and if I get books or magazines I sure have to pay for those. The best things in life may be free, but that doesn't necessarily include books whether they're electronic or on paper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

Thanks Russ!
I can click on publications in the on line library and see them and turn the pages without being logged in or a paid member.

Some people are really full of themselves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

Steve, you can click past that notice. The problem is when you attempt to view individual files. Some will open. At least my first random view did. The second attempt was when I got the "sign-in" screen. I should have noted which file but it's clear some things are still locked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 03:34 pm:

Jay,
I'm not sure what files Ken is having difficulty with. I just went through all of the files in the "Tech Info" column and was able to access each file. I know that prior to the new website, the tech info files were locked but the MTFCI Board of Directors decided to open these files for all to see. If we know what files are not available, I know we can fix the problem.
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

I have visited the MTFCI site several times since it has been re-done and I am enjoying it. I am not currently a member (thinking seriously about joining) and can access most if not all of the information provided. Very nice site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dunlavy, Iowa USA on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

Chris, Thanks for the EFR Users Forum plug.
I'm not sure where you got the link but here is a link to the forum:
www.EarlyFordRegistry.com/index.php
and a link to the EFR Main Web page:
www.efr1.com
Dave Dunlavy, Iowa, USA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Russ- I think it was in the post-27 files. Something to do with MTFCI guidelines or something like that. And, I'm not sure how I got there. I was simply reviewing the new site through the various (voluminous) drop-downs. At the time, I was curious what was available in the post-27 group. I had no problem checking a file in the 1925 group.

That horizontal navigation line is a little strange though. It's chopped off in the teens. You can't see the other years until you click on one that does show then it displays the next group fitting within the line. To someone arriving at the page, it would appear that the files only go up to 1916 (Or whatever it was). My frustration ended my browsing so I don't know if there were more locked files.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration