Master Vibrator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Master Vibrator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

Is there any real advantage to using a master vibrator? Does the car run better? Smoother? Minimally faster? Is one master vibrator easier to maintain then the four in the box? Do you use one?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Marty
The Master Vibrator was designed for early multi-cylinder cars which had problems, because of the coil point design and owners fiddling with the adjustment, synchronizing the coils to all do the same thing at the same time.
This problem was solved in 1914 by KW Ignition company who developed the upper bridge cushion spring coil point design.
Ford immediately adopted this type coil/points and used it for the remainder of Model T production.
If you have an pre 1913 Model T with original coils you may want to try a Master Vibrator.
If you are using the KW Williams design coils supplied by Ford in Model T's from mid year 1913 going forward AND you have a properly set of rebuilt and tested coils there will be no need for a Master Vibrator.
The three part story of the Ford and KW ignition company relationship can be found on the FunProjects website technical Library.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

Marty and Ron,

I rebuild a few last year and am using one on the 1922 since june last year. I use it just for fun and to understand how it works.
For the master coil I also rebuild four old coils with new points and capacitors than I bridged the points and install it all in the the car. Till now it is working well. The car start up even on magneto at winter temp of -5C.
Next season I will try it out during a 600 miles drive to the French annual model T concentration.
A few photos of the MC in attachment

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 10:37 am:

Andre and Ron,
Thanks for the response. I have a 1914 T with rebuilt brass top coils and they do work great but I was just curious if a master vibrator would make my life easier.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration