Badlands Winch - Trailer Install

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Badlands Winch - Trailer Install
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:22 am:

If you have been sitting on the fence about installing a winch on/in your trailer, consider the 12000 LB winch on sale at Harbor Freight ($299). I recently mounted one on my trailer and used it for the first time yesterday. I had to go rescue my daughter in laws Suburban (5K lbs) and that winch pulled it up like it was reeling in an empty cable. My ramps are short and its a steep approach but it had it loaded in a couple minutes. It is more that up to the task of recovering a broken T. Off Road magazine rates it an excellent buy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 11:04 am:

I`m still "sitting on the fence" about mounting my winch on my open trailer---how did you mount yours? removable? Great if you might have a photo...anybody have a suggestion? Thanks, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 11:12 am:

You got it for $299?!? It's $399 on their website right now. Or was that just a typo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

I also bought a winch from Harbor Freight about 4 years ago and use it on an open trailer. Mine is removable. I made a platform out of 2" x 12" that the winch is bolted to and is cut to the angle of the trailer tongue. It sits on the two front tongue I-beams and I just use C- clamps to hold it in place when I attach it. It doesn't slide because the platform rest against the edge of the trailer front lip. A small roller is mounted to the edge of the trailer so the cable doesn't bind. I have a plastic milk crate that is mounted to the platform also and it holds the battery and controls.

This system pulled a Ford Windstar van with a broken frame and locked up front wheel on to the trailer with ease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

$299 it was. I got one of those coupon deals in the mail and saw it for -$300 below list. It was $399 in the store without the coupon.

I bolted mine right to the deck (steel). I'll be removing it in the next few days as I'm going to install it inside one of those Rubbermaid Tote boxes as my trailer sits out in the weather all the time.

When I get it re-mounted I'll post a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 12:59 pm:

My buddy mounted his electric winch on a square of 1/4" steel plate welded to a short length of 2"x2" square tubing. He installed hitch receivers on both ends of his swamp buggy. He can use the winch where ever needed, including the rear of his pickup truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

Buy the wireless remote control while you're at it, too. You can sit right in the car and drive it on without getting tangled up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

I bought one of those Harbour Frieght winches back in 2007 to put on my open car trailer thinking it would last a couple of years.. It sit's wide open to the weather of northern ny 24/7 and has not failed to pull anything I want it to pull to date. Some of that Chinese junk is just that, Junk, but so far the winch is still working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

Gary,
I got the 9K winch from HF that bolted on the "carrier" they sell. That allows you to pick it up and put it into a standard 2" hitch receiver. They also sell the square tube receivers that you can fabricate to the tongue of your trailers -- weld directly to open/steel trailers, or weld to steel plate and bolt into enclosed trailers. I can use my winch mounted into the hitch of any truck, and several different trailers. It only takes a few bucks per trailer to fabricate a mount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

further explanation--the "square tube receiver" I mentioned above is not an equalizer hitch platform, it's just the square hole for 10-15 bucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Brewer - NorCal on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 08:38 am:

BTW, the 12 ton winch from Harbor Freight will bolt to the 2" receiver mount they sell for the 9 ton winch without modification. Strength may be an issue at some point, but so far, so good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 09:23 am:

Badland Winch is AAAAAA rated by me ..... :-)

9000 pound model with wireless remote

I use mine almost daily !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Before I bought mine, my neighbor showed me an off road magazine that had rated winches and the Harbor Freight one was one of the best rated.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration