OT - Mr. Ford, I think we need a new agent in Omaha......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Mr. Ford, I think we need a new agent in Omaha......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

Omaha Nebraska appears to have had only one Ford agent in 1907. The Deright agency sold Ford, along with Stoddard Dayton, Mason, Reo and Premier. Deright picked up the Ford in late 1906, and ledger records (research by Trent Boggess) show the Omaha agency receiving Model N by late 1906.

The following photo was taken during setup for the 1907 Omaha car show in March, appearing in the Omaha Bee. In the left photo a Model N and K are seen to the right of the stepladder:

This March 07 advertisement says Deright has received, and sold all their 1907 allotment of Stoddard Dayton cars, and have Ford runabouts, along with mention of Premier, Reo and Mason:

And a news clip in the same paper reports there will be two Model K at the show:

One Ford six (K) is reported sold to an area farmer in May:

Advertising indicates Deright has ordered 50 Stoddard Dayton for 1908. Deright will receive about 80 total Models NRS between November 1906 and 1908. Following is an advertisement by Deright that appeared on July 7, 1907. The photograph was sent by Ford Motor Company for dealers to use, celebrating the world record the Model K made in late June 1907.

However, take a look at how Deright used the world record and Ford advertising clip to promote Stoddard Dayton.

I suspect Henry Ford and James Couzens would hot have been impressed.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

Interesting!?
Thanks Rob!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 01:49 am:

Keep an eye out for my last name as your search for Ford owners in Omaha. My great, great grandfather Magnus, owned a grocery store, south of downtown Omaha during the Model K era. I don't know what he had for cars, but his sons had the resources to own and race motorcycles. My great Grandfather, Edgar, did purchase a '19 Centerdoor from the dealer in Omaha. I've seen the invoice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:26 am:

Thanks Wayne.

Eric, good to learn of your Omaha heritage.... :-)

Deright seems to have used Ford as one of his "other brands" while Stoddard-Dayton seemed to be his bread and butter brand. The following articles are laid out chronologically and tell the story of the dealer's marketing strategy.

June 16, 1907: Deright has 43 1908 model Stoddards to sell (from an original 50). It also says they have "a few four cylinder Fords" left.

June 23, 1907: have a Stoddard touring car (Brewster green) and runabout for immediate sale. "Selling the little four cylinder Fords every day."

June 27, 1907: just sold the last 1907 Stoddard, taking orders on 08 models. Sold all the "little Fords in the house," with more on the way.

July 12, 1907: have trucks to sell, and almost half of the 1908 allotment of Stoddard-Dayton's are sole (50 reported allotment). Another carload (4) of "little Fords" on the way.

July 28, 1907: have a "six cylinder Ford runabout on the way." Two carloads (8) of four cyl. Fords on the way too. Expect a new model Stoddard touring by September 1st.

August 11, 1907: the ad shows a Ford promo drawing of a Model K roadster, however the ad talks about a Stoddard touring ready for immediate delivery and two carloads of "little Fords" on the way. Meanwhile, we know from Ford records Deright received a Model K touring and K Roadster in August. We also know a wealthy family, the Storz brewery owner, bought the Model K Roadster during this time. I suspect Ford sent the cut for the K roadster ad, and Deright chose to use the drawing, but advertise Stoddards first, with mention of "little Fords."

Sep 15, 1907: Deright announces they are closing out used inventory, and taking orders on 1908 Stoddard Dayton's.

Nov 17, 1907: Mr. Deright has returned from the N.Y. Auto Shoe, and decided to continue selling Stoddards. The ad also mentions the new Ford touring car that will sell for $800 (the "pre Model T" shown at auto shows in the fall of 1907?), and that Deright is looking for agents to sell Stoddard and Ford in central Nebraska (Deright was the exclusive Ford dealer in Nebraska at this time).

January 12, 1908: Deright ran an exclusive Stoddard Dayton ad. They do mention that they want Ford and Stoddard agents in Nebraska.

June 7, 1908: an ad promoting the Stoddard-Dayton's performance in an Omaha hill climb on Memorial (Decoration) Day. While no Fords appear in the results of the hill climb, the ad does say Deright is also the agent for Ford, Pope Waverly and Rauch and Lang electrics.

So, why didn't Fords show up in the hill climb results? Why does the Ford, the largest producer of motor cars in the world in 1907, get so little mention by the exclusive Ford dealer in Nebraska? Deright claims to have sold 25 Stoddards in 1907 and another 50 for 1908. We know through Trent Boggess researched Ford ledgers that Deright received 80 Ford models NRS, along with 4 Model K during the same period (1907/08). Why so little promotion of Ford?

More to follow, have a good weekend,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:09 am:

Let's see, 84 Fords to 25 Stoddards, with all the ad emphasis on the Stoddards. I guess the Fords sell themselves, but the Stoddards pay a higher commission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:24 am:

Follow the money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

Burger, I think you have something.

Deright sold about 75 Stoddards and 80 plus Fords, 1907 through 1908. I've read that standard commission for car sales was 20% of retail, and Ford used this rate until 1907, when they lowered the Runabout (NRS) to 10%. As a result, if you run the numbers, Deright probably made much more money selling 75 Stoddards than 83 Fords:

Personally, I think Deright may have taken the Ford dealership is much as for self defense as to sell their cars. It appears little advertising was put into Ford compared with Stoddard, and the numbers seem to support the dealers choice to promote the more expensive car. However, it looks as though Ford Motor Company may have been on to this. In August 1908 Ford ran an ad for a representative to in Omaha:

Deright does run an ad in early December 1908, announcing the arrival of the new Ford Model T. According to Trent's ledger research, Model T #103 was sent to Deright in Omaha in late November, 1908:

In February, 1909, Deright adds Locomobile:

And continues to advertise Stoddard, with Velie, Matheson, Waverly, Rausch and Lang, and Columbus electrics.

However, Ford is no longer listed:

For 1910, Ford Motor Company is listed as one of the Omaha agencies (Ford branch). Deright continues to sell several makes:

By 1913, Deright is no longer selling cars. As Burger said above, "follow the money." However, it looks to me as though Deright took the big money by selling higher end higher commission cars, and letting the Ford contract go.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration