Steering bracket bushing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Steering bracket bushing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

This may have already been covered in the past, so forgive me for repeating, but I think I'm going to replace the bushings in my lower steering bracket and need some advice. I believe there are two bushings in the 1914 T, and I'm not sure how to get the old ones out or how to get the new ones and felt back in. Also, I'm assuming I need to drill a hole in the upper one since I have a grease cup there, right? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

These older threads might be helpful, I found them by using Google to search for "steering bracket mtfca":

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/409485.html?1387643408

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/308086.html?1345905938

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

You can split the bushings by sawing through them with a hacksaw. Then you can use a punch to drive them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

Based on the Ford parts book, a couple of dealer catalogues, and looking at actual brackets: Yes, 1914 takes an upper and lower bushing. All the references I checked seem confused on what was used when, but I believe the bushings you want are 1"od x 3/4"id x 1.25". Once they're in you may need to ream them for the shaft to fit. It's been a long time since I changed mine, but I think I drove each one out from the other end with a drift and a hammer. Put them in with a press or with a squeezer made from all thread with nuts. The top one needs to go in far enough to make room for the felt. The felt has to go in after the bushing and before you install the shaft. When you drill the grease hole in the upper bushing, wrap a bit of tin can around the bit so you don't damage the threads.

If I went astray here, I hope somebody with more recent experience and/or a better memory will straighten me out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

Thanks for the tips and advice! After removing the bracket, I discovered that it has one long bushing. I was able to knock it out using a socket, but now I'm not sure what to install. They don't make a single, long bushing - just the short ones. Do I install two or just one at the bottom? It looks like the original was about the same length as three short bushings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 03:58 pm:

Press one bushing in from the top and one in from the bottom. The void in the middle doesn't matter. The bushings will still keep the steering in line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

Kinda what I was thinking - makes sense to me. BTW, after cleaning the grease cup off I noticed some writing on the cap; The Burns & Bassick Co., Bridgeport, CT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

We make those bushings, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

Bob, can you send me a PM? I'd really be interested in getting one if it's the single, long bushing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

If the steering shaft is worn where it goes through the bracket, you may have to grind/turn the shaft to undersize all the way down to where the pitman arm attaches, so you don't have to ream the bushing to a larger diameter than what's needed for the worn area on the shaft :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

When I rebuilt my steering bracket I found out the steering shaft had wear. I turned down the worn section and machined new bushings to fit.

With the steering assembly installed on the car you can't even tell I turned the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

The 1912 parts book shows one long bushing. The next one, from 1916, shows the two shorter ones. If you went to Ford dealer for a bushing in 1916, they would sell you the two shorter bushings, not the long one. Bruce's list says the February 1915 book (I don't have it) shows two pieces beginning with 1914.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

Interesting, my car was built 4/10/14 but still had the one piece bushing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

they are the short ones, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 10:26 am:

Both my '13s have the long bushing, and they rarely wear out. If it is worn, I see not problem replacing it with two of the later design, after all, that is what Ford did, and don't forget the felt.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration