OT Rant

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Rant
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Just hate it when I'm on a "Do Not Call List" and I get a call saying Jose Gonzales and the speaker at the other end with an Indian accent wants to give insurance quotes And hangs up before I can ask to be taken off their list :/
Geo. n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

George ... if guys like these didn't call me, I'd have no one to talk to ! I have changed my
long distance phone service 391 times in the last year and have 27 layers of vinyl siding on
my house now ! Looking to set a world record for how many DishTV dishes we can get on a
single house. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

I know of someone who answers these calls with a creepy voice, saying "they're all dead......there's blood everywhere"

And another who answers "National Security Alert Desk....How did you get this number?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT J STEINER on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

The Do Not Call List is bogus... it doesn't work. You can report these guys every day and but they still keep on calling over & over & over& over& over& over& over& over& over& over& over& over& over The worst ones are the politicians and the charitable telemarketers they are exempt from the list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

I think having an open season on telemarketer's would thin out the number of BS calls. It works for thinning out Deer.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

I just ask them if they want Senior, Junior, or the 3rd...

Then whichever one they pick I tell them I'm one of the others and can I take a message...they then just hang up. :-):-):-) Never fails...

(BTW...there is no senior, junior or the 3rd...there's just me :-):-):-):-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

I like to make an appointment to have them come to my house. I'm just make sure I'm not there when they show up. I figure they want to waste my 10 minutes (usually at dinner time). They can spend gas money and waste time waiting for me while I'm out 4 wheeling in the desert. :-) (My T is not on the road yet...)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

I get unsolicited calls almost every day. Some want to talk about my credit card account, others want me to go on a cruse. Others want us to go to a resort and see a presentation. Some want to re-model or paint the house. If they want to remodel the house, I just tell them the next owner will have a "fixer upper". We like it just fine as it is.

The ones which bug me most are the ones where someone calls but when I answer, they don't say anything.

When I get a voice, I usually ask who they represent and tell them I am going to put them on a list of those who I don't do business with. I also tell them to send me something in the mail, so I can look at it or reject it at my time, but it is just rude to call on the phone.

I don't have a cell phone and every time someone calls I have to get up and walk over to the telephone.

Another thing I do sometimes if I have a lot of time on my hands is to engage them in conversation as long as I can so that they won't have the time to call someone else.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

They are like junk mail; people are EMPLOYED doing both. They are putting food on the table, paying rent etc not on the public dole. I don't care for them ether but the people calling or designing the mailer you toss, the printer, the mailer, the post office, the whole chain at least has jobs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

I often wonder if anyone has ever bought anything or any service being offered on "spam/junk" mail?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

I think it was Andy Rooney who wrote that he used to tell these guys "Hey; this is good stuff; I'm going to go get a pencil write it down." He then put the phone down, leaving it on, and went back to whatever he was doing when they called.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

Sales people,generally pronounce our name wrong,so one evening,when they asked for my wife,I told them they just missed her as she passed away the Friday before.They hung up,but you can bet they dropped our name off their list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

This screening machine works like a charm. http://www.amazon.com/TeleBouncer-Blocker-TB1000-Block-Telemarketing/dp/B001GBDD JM Since installed I get to have supper without being interrupted by telemarketers. About once a month, unplug it then plug it back in. It does need to be re-booted occasionally like a computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

Back in the 1950s, my grandfather refused to have a TV in the house. In those days, TV ratings were done by phone. He rarely answered the phone, because his emphysema after smoking three packs a day all his adult life meant he couldn't get to the phone in time. One day, he happened to be by the phone when it rang, so he answered and and a sweet young thing said, "Good evening, Sir. Are watching television right now?" His response was, "If you thought we were, don't you think you have a helluva nerve interrupting us?" She hung up....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

I don't know why anybody wastes time answering the land line anymore. That's what answering machines are for. Mine says, If you telemarketing clowns had half a brain, you'd have figured out after getting this message the first forty or fifty times that I'm not going to answer. On the other hand, if you're a legitimate caller leave your message so I can get back to you. If I happen to be in the room and hear that it's the rare legitimate caller, I answer. The scammers get bupkis. One of my pleasures in an election year is deleting political robo-calls without listening to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

The one that gets my goat is the call I get every morning at 8:20 a m and they do not say a thing.
Toda it was 6:20 am, woke me up.
I get usually 3 off those a day.

Often times I get calls asking for my son.
Sometimes he is here and I hand him the phone.
They want to refinance his house. He has never owned a house, never probably will.

Since my first name is Aaron, they are often surprised I don!t sound like a woman. (Erin)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 06:50 am:

That's one of the reasons I stopped using the land line and only uses a cell phone. Though we have a good "do not call list" over here that actually works now when they've started calling the cell phones too..

Aaron, the poor souls that feels forced to work at the telemarketing centers are fed with automatically phoned numbers, if they get two or more that answers at the same time, then only one gets the sales message, that's the reason for your blank calls. The problem is that your wasted time is free for them.. Don't let them waste your time, use a cell phone or if that's not practical, use an answering machine like Steve.

Back when I got those calls I used to say I didn't have time right then, then I asked the callers when they got off their shift so I could phone them back when they were at their home..

Even if you're poor and jobless, there are certain jobs no decent person should ever consider. Telemarketing is high on that list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 06:58 am:

WHO'S CALLING? ,. . I shout it.

Correct phone manners is for the caller to identify himself before asking for a person. After all, they're calling, knowing who they seek. You're blind until they are identified.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:16 am:

We no longer have a land line, but when we did, we were on the do not call list and it seemed to work pretty well. Yeah, I'd get the occasional telemarketer, but nothing like you guys seem to get. However, I am VERY careful about who I give my number to. I do not put my phone number or e-mail address on any forms, paper or on-line, unless absolutely necessary. When I do, I actively LOOK for the box to UNcheck that says "Please bombard me with SPAM", which always seems to be checked by default. It is not a sure thing, but it does reduce it. My co-workers and I were comparing results from "Googling" ourselves. There is very little information about me out there. Some, but not like them.

Unfortunately, the time will come that we will get as many telemarketers on our cell phones as we did our land lines. It's coming.

When we have to give a phone number for something like warranty information or signing up for the "Fuel Perks" card at the grocery store, my wife gives the old land line number. I have no idea if they have reassigned that number to someone else. Guess I'll find out when some cashier asks me for my number to enter in the register and she asks if I'm Joe Blow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:40 am:

I like this response to telemarketers Tom Mabe did it several years ago a real blast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIVfrBFc5og

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:48 am:

One way to we keep our phone number from being used by these creeps is to only give out our fax number. This number does not have a phone attached and does not receive calls only faxes.

So when they call all they get are fax tones works every time. When someone asks for our number we give them the fax number. So listed or picked up off the internet is the number we don't answer, and they can't leave a message.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT J STEINER on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:53 am:

Hey Brass Guy...now we are getting robo faxes though our landline and cell phones all hours of the day One of our political asswipes out of Texas faxes us 6 times in a row but no fax just the tones.. I google the phone number and a lot of complaints.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 09:15 am:

The only reason these scammers spend their resources on this is because it works. It's the small number of folks out there who will fall for their scams and send them money, etc. that make it worthwhile for the scammers, resulting in the the rest of us having to put up with the calls. If it didn't work for them, they wouldn't do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 10:47 am:

If it's not been mentioned already, numbers on the Do Not Call List are purged after, I believe, 5 years. The List worked for me, then I started getting calls again. So, I relisted my number on D.N.C. and it's been pretty good again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 11:00 am:

When the window replacement people called, my wife would listen to them and then say something like,
"Oh that sounds great except we don't have any windows, and if you know someone with roofing we don't have a roof either."
There was usually silence followed my a giggle and then a hang-up.

Now she just lets the calls go to the answering machine unless caller ID shows that it is a friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 11:02 am:

I have had to start using my answering machine to screen all my calls because of all the solicitors, scammers, and robocalls.

If your call is legitimate, start leaving a message and I'll either pick up the phone if I'm home or I'll call back the next chance I get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

I got rid of my land line and I failed to set up my voice mail box on my cell phone so they cannot leave a message. Most of my friends send text messages anyway so If I recognise the phone # I will answer. BTW I give out my old landline when someone like a car dealer or tire dealer or some such needs my number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

I have Caller ID. If I recognize the name or number, I answer. If not, the machine answers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

I recently purchased a Panasonic cordless phone system. It as a call block list. I can easily place any unwanted call on the block list. When a blocked number comes in the phone does not ring and disconnects the caller. My iPhone has the same feature. -John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

Thanks, John Saylor. I just found the call blocking feature in my Pan system, too, and am making use of it already. The landline is more useful with these fones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Yeah, like John Saylor, I sprung for a Panasonic setup that will block up to 300 callers. I also programmed mine with distinctive ringtones for people I know. If I don't know the caller on the caller I.D. I ignore it but I check the number on one of the lookup sites and add it to my blocked caller list if it's a spammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 10:47 am:

Here is a twist. Ok so I'm retired a year now from the "phone company", and a few days ago got a local call from a number not so common for my local. I even thought of calling it back as no message was left. Haven't done it yet when this morning about 15 minutes ago I get a call from that number. I answer and right a way can tell it's a computer call. Few seconds later a guy comes on and says he with XM, and Yes my subscription is due but I ask how if he's from XM is my caller ID showing a local number not a 800 number? Click.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 09:03 am:

Why not.setup a message machine and instead of recording a message for people ... record the SIT tone or whatever it was called for a 'number no longer in service'. That's what the telemarketer zappers from TV do.

Regards all,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:53 am:

I don't get that. Why do I want to tell legitimate callers that my number is no longer in service?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

Revenge!!!! Having had an 'office-in-home', I have an auto-answer fax machine (after four rings) feature with my 4-in-1 computer printer. If the caller ID isn't appropriate, they get the fax 'squeal' for 20 seconds... If I'm not at home, anyone who wants to leave a voicemail message can call back during those 20 seconds, or call my cell. It works for me!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration