How Many Ts Still Work for a Living?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How Many Ts Still Work for a Living?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

Today was very warm for SoCal in the winter, somewhere in the mid 80s. I walked out of the shop to drive over to City Hall and then to over do some banking. Rather than take the modern car I got the T out and did the running around in a 93 year old car. It did everything as well as the modern would have and was a lot more fun.

While this is mostly a weekend hobby car, it sang for its supper today. Are other Ts out there still earning a living?

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

I drive our 1915 touring more then either of our modern cars. If It ain't raining, and I need to drive somewhere, I am in the T.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

I seldom drive anything but a Model T. We take one to breakfast 2 or 3 times a week. I average 2 or 3 errands a week. Idaho Falls is a small enough town you can drive almost anywhere in 20 minutes and just a few streets are busy and can be avoided. I'm retired so I don't have to drive to work.

Life is good.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

I've been burning up a tank or two a week just using the ol' T.
Out to eat, to the park for our walk, shopping...whatever.
I'd rather take the T than a '40 Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

The T's you can rent at Yellow Stone (?) or the ones at the HF. Working for a living means, to earn wages. Driving to the where ever is just pleasure use. :-) I guess driving back and forth to work would count as earning it's keep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

most of the miles driven with my ambulance is on the farm working

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

Still earning a living:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

Every one at the HF Museum/Village

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

New sawmill will earn her living cutting firewood when she's refurbished and the IHC mower conversion will be cutting my pastures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

I drive mine almost every day and it is my tow car when we go out in the motorhome. I love this car. It goes to the store and to work and all over. I most like to see other people enjoying it. The pics that others take of us driving down the road and the comments and stories of their cars they had over the years. The selfies they take of themselves next to my car. Every time I come out of the store there are so many people around the car I cant see it. I really do like to see others enjoying it. It makes my day when I ask someone who is looking at it if they would like to go for a ride around the block. Oh man. The way their face lights up is great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Mine are for hauling lumber, hay, rock ... you name it.

No cutesy shows and parades. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 11:40 pm:

I bought my truck to put to work on the farm hauling trash, moving firewood, and using the flatbed for a mobile work station when checking my beehives, harvesting honey, or working on one of the buildings. I don't make enough$$ to justify a vehicle purely for pleasure yet. Someday I'll get a Tudor I hope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:24 am:

I don't think twice about using mine when I need to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:28 am:

If I had an enclosed car I would drive it to work and stuff like that more often. My speedster Eliza is just too dang cold. Really want a TT with a metal cab. Hal those pics are great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:54 am:

As my wife says " Any excuse will do for you won't it,Is there any reason not to drive the T"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 08:40 am:

LOL well - maybe those crazy folks up north can drive speedsters in the cold but it's CRAZY cold today. 18*F and with 25-35 mph winds the wind chill was -1*F. Completely ridiculous for this area. I'm not too proud to say I don't drive in the freezing cold. =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 09:05 am:

I filled up my primitive pickup with scrap and took it to the waste transfer station on a good december day. Fortunately it's nearby, long journeys isn't much fun this time of the year.

scrap heap challenge

I just had to take it out when it was sunny a couple days ago again - drove too fast, lost my earmuff and now it feels really cold..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Roger I love the tractor seats in your pickup. That has to be one of my favorite mods I've ever seen.

I know there was a thread about them specifically but was wondering if you ever got the springy-ness to them just right. I thought I remembered them being a bit stiff from what you reported.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 10:05 am:

Seth, I think the springy-ness happened to be just about right from start, not too soft but still not so hard as the lack of upholstery bothers me even after a few of 50 mile journeys I've made in warmer weather. I've made the springs from cracked Model T rear spring leafs I've found. The main problem was the lack of back support, so I've added two #2 from the top rear spring leafs as supports for my and the front passengers backs. The rear seat is a box over the tank with a foldable backrest. It might be less comfortable, but it's only intended for shorter trips. Another change I had to make was flipping the steering wheel to get a comfortable driving position and adding a throttle lever extension.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 10:17 am:

My steering wheel is a touch close from where I'd like it to be if it were perfect. If you need to bring it up to you though I'd put one of those Fatman brackets on that the suppliers sell. I think they look really cool and I'd like one but I can't stand the idea of the steering wheel being any closer.

Can you post more pics of the seats? I can see the spring going up for your back but the rest is hidden by the back seat. I had an idea for a backrest but wanted to see what you have there.

I found the old thread about your pickup. Did you ever settle on a name? I still think Ford Fart when I look at the pics of it. =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 10:43 am:

I believe David Leipelt, who works at Greenfield Village, (a.k.a. The Henry Ford), still drives his 15 as his regular driver. Maybe not today however, it's 2 degrees outside.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration