Paint for a Home Wheel Painting Project?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Paint for a Home Wheel Painting Project?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

The wheelwright has just pinged me to say that the wheels for the 1923 Runabout will be ready this evening. He coated the spokes with boiled linseed oil which is supposed to be OK for enamel paint.

I have had no luck finding a painter who would tackle this job and heard from a number of folks on this forum that they had done it themselves at home with good results.

I want a gloss black paint that will look as close as possible to what Henry used 93 years ago.

I can use either a brush or a spray bomb, whichever gives the best results. What brand of paint has worked for you? What paint should I avoid?

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

Rust Oleum is still a good slow drying enamel I believe if you decide to brush your spokes. I like VanSickle which I buy at our Cal Ranch store. It is used on tractors. It is not as Black or glossy as other paints but I think it looks good on an old car. It is relatively cheap but holds up well.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:38 pm:

Rustoleum appliance epoxy in the rattle can would be the best bet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 12:36 am:

I used Ace appliance epoxy from rattle cans on these wheels seven years ago. So far so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 12:42 am:

Hey ford used to dip them in a vat so anything you do will be better then new dont like that color go get few cans of a new shade

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

How does appliance epoxy work out for overspray problems? Does it blend in well?

I have had great results with enamel spray on small objects that I can keep wet on the final coat but it doesn't do as well on large parts like a complete wheel.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza, north adams ma on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

Sherwin williams also has an all surface oil based enamel, apparently it can be had in any of the colors they can mix. If you just want black or a basic color rustoleum seems to still be used by many of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

I still like good ol' acrylic enamel. I used PPG DAR 9000 gloss black on my '15s new spokes this spring and they came out fantastic. Three coats.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration