Something I wonder about steering wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Something I wonder about steering wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

I believe that Ford Motor Company did very little by "accident" when building the Model T. In other words I think there was reasoning for most everything done the way it was.
That said, Does anyone know the reasoning that the steering wheels were "offset" as opposed to just flat? Aesthetics? Relationship to spark and throttle levers? Some kind of leverage thing I would never understand? Other ideas? Or does someone know the reason?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

I would think it is because of the steering gear box being at the top, the offset was needed to get your hands in the proper position to operate the gas and spark rods. Just my opinion for what its worth .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:27 am:

I think it was to get the line of force from the rim through the gear box. Less wear and tear that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 08:07 am:

It looks as though the Model B (1905) was dished out. My first guess would be along the lines of what Donnie suggests, to have proper spacing with the spark and gas levers:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 08:24 am:

Probably was done to save money on the extra inch of materials on the steering column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 08:54 am:

Ford was a practical guy. He or an engineer put a steering wheel on a column and since the two lever controls were to be in your fingers reach while you hands were on the steering wheel a distance was determined and that was it. I don't think there was much head scratching when it came to figuring this out. Just my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 09:36 am:

I believe it was to keep the leverage right. The rim of the steering wheel lines up with the gears in the steering box. Also lines up with the spark and gas levers. Only dangerous thing is if you stop abruptly, you could get the nut in your chest or chip a tooth, depending on how tall you are.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

It just looks nice. As most curvaceous things do!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration