OT Vet discounts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Vet discounts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:58 pm:

Ok I just got my VA Card. I remember a list of places that give a discount to Veterans. Now that I have my card I would like to have the list of business,s that give the discount. Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 11:21 pm:

http://www.rather-be-shopping.com/blog/2014/05/29/veteran-military-discounts/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 12:22 am:

Thanks Steve, What a long list of supporters of our military. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 01:46 am:

I am not in the military, I am not retired military.
I did serve in the fifties.
Because I am a veteran they gave me a hell of a deal at Chase bank, my wife got the same, and they treat us very well at all Chase banks.
We each have their Premier checking, savings, debit card, etc. package for free. It is normally $25 a month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 02:19 am:

Aaron, ditto here with Chase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 02:46 am:

Aaron, ditto here with Chase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:08 am:

Even my small business accounts were free at Chase. We should get some return for their high level shenanigans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 09:37 am:

Aaron & Hal
I'm in the same situation as you, served in the 50's. How did you prove that you were a vet? I managed to get a small discount from Verizon Wireless but the effort was unbelievably complicated (took about a week and many return visits).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 10:24 am:

There is a .gov website where you can apply to have your DD-214 sent. I did it a few years ago.

You should be able to find it at: http://www.va.gov/opa/newtova.asp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 10:26 am:

Here in Cal I was denied a ID card. I have my 214 form showing I served from Jan 53 till Jan 57 in the AF. They said I could not get a ID card with out a VA claim. Also tried to get a hearing aid because of ringing in the ears and hearing problems from working the flight line with jet noise every day. Also refused.So much for being a Veteran.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 10:46 am:

We use a Credit Union and the banks can go to hell!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 10:57 am:

Richard,
Hearing loss and tinnitus are two different problems. Most CA counties have an office or department that exists solely to assist with aging and veterans problems.

I went to mine here in Stanislaus county for advice on hearing loss from submarine duty. He advised me to go to a civilian audiologist and get my hearing tested. Once that was done I submitted the results along with an application for hearing aids and tinnitus. Then, before they would approve or disapprove my claim they had me go to the Livermore, CA clinic and they tested my hearing again for themselves.

The result was that my hearing loss was classified as "service related" as was my tinnitus, two separate things. The hearing loss got me hearing aids. The tinnitus got me a 10% disability which means access to the VA medical system and a $133 a month disability pension, and of course the VA card mentioned in this thread.

It's a slow process and you must be patient, but it sounds like you have a valid claim that somehow was mis-handled. I urge you to get some help and try again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 11:03 am:

I showed my 214 to the bank manager to get approved as a vet.
When my wife opened her accounts they approved her by looking at my account.
bur, you've got me thinking, maybe I'd better check out the credit union for my business.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 11:09 am:

Richard,

PS. County assistance with the process is at no charge. The only thing I had to come out of pocket for was the civilian hearing test, which I think was somewhere around $100 or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 11:17 am:

Do all of my business with The Tavis Federal Credit Union main office in Vacaville Ca. They are great and have been with them since 1960.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

Been with Navy Federal Credit Union since 1973. Best rates anywhere. When I took out a home equity loan to put a new roof on the house, they sent a lady TO the house to finish the paperwork!

The original application was done online. Best service anywhere but I agree that credit unions beat the heck out of banks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

I have never had a bank account, I've used credit unions my whole life, and have always gotten good service. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

John & Mark - I won't bore you with all of the reasons why I hate banks, but for the reasons you guys have mentioned, I actually belong to two credit unions and have NO savings with any bank. Having retired from the railroad, I still belong to the railroad credit union, and several years ago, we financed a car thru' the Alaska U.S.A. Federal Credit Union and they were such a good outfit to deal with that once the car was paid off (early with no penalty) we joined the C/U and just kept sending the same payments as we made in financing the car and now the "payments" just go into our "share account". Yes, their home office is in Anchorage, but that makes no difference as they have branch offices here in WA. and actually, you can conduct all normal C/U business online or by phone or mail anyway.

Note: I have no connection with any credit union,.....it's just that they are so much more accomodating than any bank I've ever dealt with that I just thought that others might want to consider credit unions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

Black Bear dinner just gave me a discount. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

Steve - Great list,....thanks for posting!

This is the sort of thing where I really don't know where I stand. I'm not a "vet" of WW2, Korea, Viet Nam or Iraq, however, I was a member of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve from '63 to '69,.....six months active, then five and a half years of 2-week summer camps and monthly week-end drills. (Never missed a single drill either!)

Anyway, I certainly don't feel as deserving as war vets, but then I did "do my thing" and as a USMCR "volunteer", and I was ready, willing and able if our unit had been called up for Viet Nam. Sorta feel like I'd accept a military discount if offered, but don't feel quite right about "asking" for it,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

I served in the US Regular Army from late 1950 to early 1953 and reserves thru 1956. Several years ago I went to the VA hospital to file a claim for a back injury. That is still pending, but I got a 30 percent disability for a hearing loss. I was in a heavy weapons unit. They also gave be a pair of eye glasses. The VA personal here in Minnesota are very helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

My oldest brother was artillery and went in Dday plus 5 and on through the Battle of the Bulge and another year in Germany after the war.

There was a fire in St. Louis and many records burned. There is no surviving record that he served, so he has received nothing from VA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Thanks Rick-Surf City. I Googled DD-214 and got a form to complete and send in. Actually I have my original one in my safe deposit box but the printing on it is so faded and the paper so deteriorated that is hard to read and impossible to duplicate clearly. This was part of my problem with Verizon. I plan to get a new one as you suggested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

My copy of my records show burning at the lower right hand section. Not all page were burnt. mostly in the back half.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

When I got out I was told to go to the courthouse and register a copy of my DD-214. Because of that I've got a copy of mine at the courthouse, one in my possession and a copy at St Louis. When I needed a copy for graveside veterans honors for my Dad the County Service Officer called the courthouse (same one) and in a few minutes received a faxed copy of it. I could never say enough good about the quality of care I've received from the VA Medical Centers here in Minnesota. When I needed to apply for disability the Disabled American Veterans represented me and have always gone beyond my expectations to assist me. It's been my experience it's always best to seek assistance when dealing with the VA. Not because I'm not capable of doing it myself but because the VA is more willing to listen to the County Service Officers and organizations like the Disabled American Veterans or the VFW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David A. Siver.......De Smet, SD on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 08:31 am:

Ricks,

My father was in the same boat, his records were destroyed in the St Louis fire. He still had a copy of his 214 given to him when he was discharged and was granted assistance based on that.

I am sure your brother was given his DD 214 when he was separated, some refer to it as "statement of service" or "discharge papers". Your county should have a "service officer" go to them and file a claim with any proof of service he has, let them do the leg work. Another route is to go to any of the service organizations, Legion, VFW, Fleet Reserve, or Paralyzed Veterans they will also have a "service officer" that will assist in filing a claim and you don't have to be a member of that organization.

One thing veterans were encouraged to do when separated was to take their 214 down to the local court house and register it with the County Register, if you cannot find your brother's copy I would go there and have them look for it, he may have done this and not remembered.

A veteran can file for benefits whether they have any medical/physical problems or not, it is up to the VA to determine this. If they determine there are no disabilities service related or not the veteran should still get a VA ID card.

All veterans should file for benefits at some time in their life as there are burial benefits available, having an existing account will make the process easier for survivors. There was a period of time when the VA would not provide the bronze plaque stating ones service if the veteran already had a head stone, that is not the case now. The VA will furnish a head stone or bronze plaque but not both so if the vet has a privately purchased head stone the VA will provide the bronze plaque at no charge to place on the back of the stone.

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:14 am:

Thanks, David. I forwarded your post to his children, as he is non-net, and my speech is garbled.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration