23 Touring Seats

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 23 Touring Seats
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Bork on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 08:04 am:

Looking for pictures for the front seat riser without the upholstery in so I can see how to repair the rusted out seat riser thanks Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Dennis,

Did you see the responses to your earlier question about the rear seat frame at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/506876.html?1420335362 ? The link http://www.modelt.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=101 posted there with photos on rewooding the 1923 touring also has several photos of the front seat area in addition to the ones of the back seat area. Perhaps not as detailed as you may want but something to start your research with.

Also, did you confirm that you are dealing with a 1923 touring that has a low cowl? If someone installed a 1923 engine in an earlier car, you potentially could have a higher front seat section than the later ones that were designed to use the oval rather than the round gas tank. At your previous question, there were some photos posted on how to tell the earlier low cowl from the later high cowl body.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 03:48 am:

You can spot a low cowl body and a high cowl body in photographs and at sight (at least I can), by looking at the raised body molding that separates the cowl from the side panel between the doors and the hood.

The molding will dip further down, towards the bottom of the top door hinge on a low cowl car. On a high cowl car, the molding doesn't dip down past the top of the upper hinge, at least not by much.

Also, on a proper low cowl car, the hood side panel will not have notches for the hood latches, whereas the high cowl car will have notches for the hood latch. The hood latch notches are aside from the measurements for the hoods being different as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Bork on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

yes I have an early 23 with a low cowl. what I am looking for is some pictures of the seat risers, so I can repair as close to original as possible

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 01:13 am:

You know a picture of your car would save a lot of misinterpretations and misunderstands here. You say early 23 with a low cowl and then I start wondering if you're not really talking about an early 22. The seat box corners were 2.5" radius this is the same for both 22 and 23 and probably later as well.

The seat back metal bolted to the seat box along the bottom edge of the back. The only upper support is the tack rail which the seat back metal bolts to in eight places (at the corner joints).

These are pictures of my 22's front seat back you can see the large looing loops, those are the bolt holes that bolt the metal back to the tack rail. The holes along the side tie the seat back metal to the inside wood frame of the body.

There are 5 pieces to the tack rail, 1 back rail 2 corner pieces and 2 arm rests.

There is a plate that spans between the bolts on the front side of the tack rail.

The back seat is a just the tack rail with a wood seat back support that bolts to the seat box, like what was posted in the other thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Bork on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

thanks for the pictures, but if you read my post the seat riser is rusted out. the tack rail in my car is in good shape

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 06:24 am:

ok, sorry about that. Contact Model T Haven, Mark will probably have the correct seat box you're looking for.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration