OT - One wrong move, and no Eric Hylen

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - One wrong move, and no Eric Hylen
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 08:52 am:

From another thread, Eric mentioned his great great grandfather owned a grocery store in Omaha, Nebraska.

One false step, and we wouldn't have Eric on the forum today:

$98 would be the equivalent of about $2500 today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

That's cool. I've got a follow up article that I'll post when I get home from work. All I can say, is one bad step could be your undoing when Magnus Hylen was on the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

This is like commercial time on NCIS. I don't have a fast forward button to see the rest of the story!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 10:52 am:

Herb, It's not as dramatic as NCIS. Magnus noted that the highwayman walked with a "bad step" and that information was used to help identify the criminal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 11:11 am:

A few years later, Magnus' son Edgar (my great grandfather) was successfully racing Indian motorcycles and shared a track day with Eddie Rickenbacker. I don't know the date of the race, but based on Rickenbacker's career, it has to be 1910 to 1912, when he was racing Firestone-Columbia cars in and around Omaha, where he was a sales rep for this make. It's most likely that this race took place before he raced the Firestone-Columbia 30 at Indy.

Edgar Hylen later purchased a '19 Ford Sedan in Omaha. My great uncle showed me the invoice several years ago. I'd love to find and own that car, but the odds are very much against that happening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sullivan, Powell WY on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 11:50 am:

No desire to take this thread adrift, but here is a 1916 ad featuring Rickenbacher and others endorsing Bosch ignition systems. The shoes are my favorite part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

I have a book about race driver De Palma. It is titled "Wall Smacker" And of course Eddie Rickenbacher was a WWI air ace, formed Easter Airlines and the Rickednbacher Automobile Company. In WWII he surveyed several weeks on an life raft in the Pacific ocean. The auto symbol was a "Hat in a Ring." I have a tail light glass with that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

Where was the "Omaha Speedway" located at? Could it been at the Aksarben site? I think I remember someone telling me it was a auto racetrack back in the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

Philip,
This 1907 article says it was across from Krug Park, which is about 62 and Maple. I believe Aksarben was south around 60th and Center?

Aksarben, spelled backwards, is "Nebraska," for anyone not familiar with the term. In it's heyday it was one of the nations top ten horse racing venues. I read that horse racing and auto racing began in 1920 at Aksarben:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 01:49 pm:

Lipp is later cleared, according to this article:

However, unlike Magnus and his future offspring, all does not end well for Jacob Lipp. A year later he is reported dead in St. Louis:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 03:05 pm:

I know Krug park very well as it now called Gallagher park. As a young boy I played baseball there and went swimming in the park. Also I spent many many hours at the hobby shop in Benson as a kid.

Do you have any pictures of the track?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krug_Park_(amusement_park)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

This post has me fascinated if you can't tell as I use to hang out at Krug (Gallagher) park when I was kid. Looking at the article Rob posted about the new race track it says it was built opposite Krug park on Military. Military runs through Omaha, I use to take it down to Tech high for auto mechanics.

With that either the track was built south of Krug park or possibly where Benson High school is. It seems like the Benson High would be more plausible as its all flat and sits on many acres. The land across from Krug park is not and has many small hills. I guess the area would be part of Benson now.

I need to ask my mom if she remembers Krug park as she grew up not too far from Benson High school.

Thanks for the article Rob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

I have fond memories of Omaha. We went there every summer when I was a kid. My great aunt used to take my siblings and I to the Henry Doorly zoo. I'll never forget the smell and warmth of the little injection molded plastic animals that could be purchased fresh from the machine.

Nearly all of my relatives from there have passed away or moved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

We might as well learn what happened to Jacob Lipp. The Omaha paper reported his death, at age 24, in 1904. His body was sent back to Omaha from St. Louis.

The rest of the the story about a young fellow who appeared to be headed in the wrong direction:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

We all face consequences for the choices we make. He beat the justice system a couple of times, but the laws of physics are a little tougher to manipulate.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration