Old Photo - Hadley New Jersey Airfield 1920's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Hadley New Jersey Airfield 1920's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 12:43 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

Main strip was cinders; diagonal/alternate was grass and surrounding area was farmland/or woods& weeds until the 70's. Some say it was the 1st mail airfield in the East. Learned to fly there - J-3 Cub. Fun!!

Can't find it now: progress???
In the corner above the intersection of New Durham Road (501) and Stelton Road.(Target, Chase Bank, Pizza Hut). Further south on Stelton Road (out of the picture) was Camp Kilmer.

Where do you find these, Jay?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

WOW! Great photos Jay! Not that I'm that much into airplanes, but the Curtiss JN-4 (Curtiss "Jenny") kinda' holds sort of the same fascination for me as Model "T" Fords! The Curtiss Jenny plays a big part in the history of U.S. Airmail and makes interesting reading,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 04:37 pm:

What are the planes in the lower two photos? I'm guessing a de Havilland something or another?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

I'm not that much up on those old planes, but I'll bet you're right Hal,.......I thought De Havilland too on those other planes, only because I know that the "Jenny's" were first with airmail and the larger and more powerful DeHavillands came after the Jennys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

You know, I never thought of this 'till now, but maybe my "fascination" with Curtiss "Jenny's" is because they're one of the few (if not the only) early plane with a radiator out in front, much like a Model "T"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

I heard of De Havilland thing-a-ma-jig but never a De Havilland somthing-or-another :-)

Jenny's were used a lot for mail carriers but I thought they had a fairly long nose and the engine wasn't covered by a cowling, it was exposed, and the exhaust pipe on one side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

The planes in the air mail photos above were DeHavilland DH-4 see the Air Force Museum description at: http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=324 along with additional photos. Below is a photo of the DH-4 from their site:

The Curtis Jenny is shown below this one from the National Air & Space Museum from the web site at: http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?object=nasm_A19190006000 which has the photo shown below plus a few others.

There is an excellent book called “Jenny Was No Lady” about the early military training days of the JN-4. I read that back in 1974 and I still have it as it had so many good stories. For those that enjoy flying stories, I would recommend it as a fun look at the early years of aviation.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:19 pm:

Dave:

Good view of the airport site. Passed that area frequently in my college days, friends the area. In the early '70's it was an overgrown area, somewhat neglected..... now filled with shopping centers and congestion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

Actually the more I looked at the planes the more I think the planes in the air mail photos above may actually be made by different companies and/or different series of the same planes that were modified. I started off convinced they were all DH-4s. But the top photo has the front of the fuselage that appears to taper up to the bottom of the radiator. And the few pictures of the DH-4 that I looked at had the bottom of the fuselage flat or the same distance from top to bottom from the radiator back to the landing gear area.

Note the Jenny was powered by a V-8 engine and the planes in the original photos were I can easily see the exhaust pipes appear to be V-12 with 6 exhausts coming out on the side.

Like the 1917-1925 Model Ts are similar as well as other cars from the same time period, there appear to be several planes that have some similar features.

Respectfully giving up on aircraft identification,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

I think the three airplanes at Hadley Airport in the first photo are Douglas M-3's. The other two look like DH-4's. All of them should have Liberty V-12 engines.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration