Hand Brake adj.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Hand Brake adj.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

How do you adjust the tension of the hand Brake on a 1915 T Roadster? I know it has probably been discussed on the forum before but I made a search and found no results. New to the forum so maybe I did not do the search correctly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

Here is how I adjusted mine, my procedure doesn't match the one in the service manual.

I disconnected the brake rods from the brake lever cross shaft, then put the handbrake lever fully forward and jammed a piece of wood in the floorboard slot so that the lever couldn't be accidentally pulled back.

Then, I moved each brake rod forward and back until I found the "sweet spot" where the brake cam was "relaxed" and fully horizontal. You can usually find this spot by feel. If you can't, it might be time to take the rear wheels off and inspect to make sure your brake cam, shoes, and springs are assembled correctly.

When the brake cams are horizontal, the brake arms should be angled towards the rear of the car, like so:

pic01

Now, with the brake cams "relaxed" and the arms facing towards the rear, adjust the length of your brake rods so that the holes in the clevis line up with the holes in the brake lever arms and the pins slip in easily without disturbing the "relaxed" position of the brake cams. Put in the cotter pins and tighten the lock nuts on the clevises.

Now, remove the piece of wood that was blocking off the slot in the floorboard for the brake lever and pull the lever back fully. Jack up the rear of the car and verify that both rear wheels are locked up solid.

Doing it this way ensures that the brake rods will be long enough so that they don't prevent you from fully engaging the high gear clutch.

Good luck! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

Thank you looks reasonable to me. I will give it a try.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration