Lamp survey

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Lamp survey
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

I'm curious how many of you brass/brass & black T owners have differing lamps on your T's or how many have all matching lamps? I've heard it said that most likely, during the rush of assembling a T they didn't always take the time to match all five lamps they put on the car. Not sure what headlamps were originally on my '14 Touring since someone had put electric lamps on it. The guy I bought it from bought a nice pair of Jno. Browns and put them on with Corcoran side/tail lamps, but when I bought the car from him it came with a five piece Corcoran set and a five piece Brown set so I put the Browns on all around. Now I wish I would have kept the Corcoran side lamps because I think that's what was original to the car (based on pictures of the car in 1998 when the fellow I bought it from brought it home).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

My '10 and '12 both have E&J lamps all around. My '13 has E&J headlamps and Brown side and tail lamps. My '14 Touring has Brown all around and my '14 Runabout has Victor headlamps and Brown side and tail lamps. After more than 100 years and who knows how many prior owners it's hard to say if any of the lamps were original to the car except for the '10 that I have the build specs for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

I am far from any reference on T's, but I often come up against this original install discussion
for other interests I have, and in these cases, not only did "business logic" prevail on the assembly
line simply grabbing what was on hand - supported by testimony of those actually doing the line
work - but also in evidence found from unmolested originals.

It would seem to me that like-appearing items would not be discerned from in a production line
environment (post 1915) like they might before Henry really got the ball rolling with the all-black
cars. However, if specs made a Corcoran appear just like a Brown, with the exception of an
inconspicuous stamping, if they needed a set and only had mixed makes in the supply bin, then
by golly, they'd bolt the thing together and get it out the door ! The end user wasn't going to care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin klein on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

My '13 touring has E&J all around and appears to have been a fairly complete and original car when restored in the early 70's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Our '14 was restored from an original car and sports matching Browns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Our 14 has all 5 #2 Victors and i have been told all were shipped in sets of 5.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

All of our lamps on our 1912 are E&J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

Our '14 Touring has all 5 Jno. Brown lights.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 09:54 am:

Anybody need a near-NOS pair of Victor #1 cowl lamps and matching restored #1 tail lamp for a 1913? Send me a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 10:23 am:

Mine are the same.
I just can figure out if they should be down like an old picture of the car or up like my dad placed them.

I tried down and they hit the hood so I left them in the up position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry LaPatka on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

George House please email me your email address
Thanks Larry LaPatka ltlapatka@gmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thompson on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

Fred. Did you get the engines swapped?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

Larry, you get my email?

Fred, leave em 'up' like dad placed them. That way you'll always remember the change he made when you view them. Ken Meeks got me to turn the ignition key on my '14 upside down so my big ol' size 12s don't cut the engine off. Now, whenever I view that Key I have very fond memories of Ken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 05:59 pm:

Hi Bill,

Not yet. I want to do it but every time I get ready to make the swap something happens. There were trips to China, a few problems with the A Motor, a knee operation, etc that slowed things down.

I put a bit of oil in the plug holes every few weeks and turn it over. I also have the carb and exhaust manifold sealed to keep animals out.

I didn't even have time to mount the new tires on the car last year. I purchased AC brakes but didn't have time to install them before the cold weather put a stop to working in the garage.

My plans are to tackle the T before putting the A motor back in.

The A motor turned into somewhat of a disaster. It was frozen solid and even after months of ATF/acetone, and disassembly a bit at a time, I found the bottom end very rusty so I picked up another one that would turn. This one was - let us say endowed with excessive clearances. I got lucky and found a third A motor long block that had been rebuilt years ago and never run, so we cleaned it up, checked the clearances, and are currently reassembling it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 06:11 pm:

I had this discussion a while back with Mark Cameron. He's done quite a bit of research at the Benson archives and has won the MTFCI Stynoski award for best restoration of the year with three different cars.

He told me that Ford received shipments of head lamps and side lamps form the different suppliers and used them about as quickly as they came in. When a shipment arrived, the oil lamps would be crated together and the carbide lamps and generators would be crated separate from them. So, each car should have matching oil lamps and matching carbide lamps. But, depending on the timing of shipments and other factors, the carbide lamps might come from a different manufacturer than the oil lamps. Mark said that most cars had matching lamps all around, but some didn't due to supply changeover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 06:14 pm:

My '14 has Jno. Brown lamps all around with a matching carbide generator. It was not originally equipped with a speedometer, but that's another can of worms.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration