Front bumper

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Front bumper
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RVB on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

I've always liked the look of this "T", but more so, the front bumper with the brass and springs, I wanted to know if anyone knows who it belongs to so I can find out how the front bumper was constructed. and if I can get additional pictures with measurement and details any info would help..

I don't know how to copy the picture so I"ll place a link to it..

http://www.seriouswheels.com/def/Ford-Model-T-Centennial-Parasol-1920x1440.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

Pretty, but it wouldn't survive much of a bump, would it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

What is the Brass ting by the License Plate?

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

I cranked one T with a bumper like that and it's a very claustrophobic feeling reaching down in there to grab the crank. I'm already paranoid when I hand crank trying to make sure I have myself out of the way if it kicks back and I just couldn't be comfortable with it. I do think it looks really nice though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RVB on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

I'm assuming that it's a solid piece brass and what about the front additional brass light, what kinda light is that. was it an add on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RVB on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

Thanks for loading the picture Steve, Yup that's the one.. I'd like to replicate a bumper like that on my T. I have no worries on the cranking since I have a starter. I've also seen pictures of this car at this other web site

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jondresner/6134930307/in/photostream/lightbox/

again sorry I don't know how to capture and upload pictures yet.. but I'd rather change the front bumper/railing than buy a new brass radiator. just what I'd like to do. I know everyone has different thought's..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 03:15 pm:

That would be way too heavy RVB, it's likely steel tubing brass plated, which was a common design back then. Of course, it could be brass tubing, but $$$$!
If I see things right, the front bumper supports are spring loaded--the original ones often were too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

That '11 belongs to Morris Dillow, who is at the wheel. His wife is riding shotgun and his late mother is in the back seat. They were all duded up in period clothing at the Centennial in '08, which is where this pic was taken. Morris and his wife live near Eureka Springs, Ark. If you contact me offline, I'll give you some contact info for him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

Those bumpers were made by Jess Bonar in the late 60's and maybe early 70's. They are spring loaded and the bars are solid brass quite heavy but solid. He also made some nickel plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

I think it looks ridiculous. The cars weren't made that way. Seems pointless anyway, the tires will hit first on a light bump. Any harder impact and you will have bigger problems than that bumper can solve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

WOW

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration