Painting It Forward

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Painting It Forward
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 12:45 am:

Matt Grind 1
Matt grinds the heads off the rivets to remove the worn handbrake quadrant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 12:47 am:

Afterward Aaron paints the frame with KBS Rust Seal then stands back to admire his handiwork.Aaron Paint 1Aaron Paint 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 07:43 am:

Nice! Best part of havin' kids is puttin' 'em to work. Well, I don't have any but that's what my dad has said my whole life. Every time he gets me to do something for him. "That's why I had you man. Put you to WORK." =)

Frame looks really good too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 07:55 am:

Looks great, Sean. Now all you lack is finishing up. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 08:58 am:

Yeah, ... almost done ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 09:11 am:

I have to say the paint job that Aaron put on the frame looks pretty good!
This is a reminder that using some good paint and applying it with a brush can look nice.

Sometimes we think (as I do sometimes) that spray painting is the only way to go but that's not always so.
This is a good example! I had a older friend paint his wire wheels with a brush and was really surprised how good they look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

Thanks guys, and Aaron says the same. Mike & Burger: You're right - we can almost see the finish line. Almost...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

I painted Pete's (my '12 Roadster P.U.) frame with acrylic enamel and a foam brush. Looks about as good as any spray job. You can see yourself in the finish too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

A Model T that is too sparkly and pretty is every bit as
wrong as one with a small block Chevy. Keep it real. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

We get it Burger, you hate restored cars...how anything in this hobby is 'Wrong" is merely speculative, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Easy John, ... just saying, beating oneself to death trying to over-restore a car ... what's the point ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

Burger its called a hobby for a reason, some people like to bring it down to the bare metal and completely start out with a fresh canvas, others like yourself, don't..can't we all get along?..:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:09 am:

Burger: I didn't show closeups of the drips, runs, and solvent pops. But - It looks perfect to the kids. Don't worry about over-restoring here. As much as we'd like to restore a Thomas Model 36, we have even less money for that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 01:17 am:

John, .... Where in all this are we not getting along ? If you choose to
read me as not getting along, that is on you, Sir. You, or anyone else, are
free to do as you please and present your slant on how to restore a car,
just as I am.

I simply suggested that overdoing it is not necessary to be happy with
the results, and that Henry never gave two shats about flawless paint on
a T when they were new. Keeping proportionate finish expectations is not
only easier to achieve for pro and novice alike, but it is also more in keeping
with how they were built/sold originally.

Feel free to make your argument for over-restoration and trying to make
T look like a Kissel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erick Keenan on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 09:07 am:

Looks very nice, hope it was a learning experience that they had fun doing. Erick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

Sean,
I very much admire how you're growing little gearheads in these trying times and pray you'll be able to continue this evident high interest level in the years/semesters to come. The young people will grow up to be visionaries. Kinda like the verse: Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Prvb 22:6

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration