A Two-Legged Right Hand Drive Model T Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: A Two-Legged Right Hand Drive Model T Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 06:32 am:

The Ford Motor Company gave the Model T Ford the advertising slogan The Universal Car. And this photo of a right hand drive Ford made either in Canada for export, or the United Kingdom proves it, because this one can walk.

Has this photo been posted here before and does anyone know the background behind this car??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 09:00 am:

Wonder why this never caught on ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 10:22 am:

David-
I have never seen this before. I'd love to see the mechanics.

I see a 1914 coilbox.

I wonder if it was experimental for WW I ???

Thanks for posting.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 10:23 am:

I've seen a lot of photos but I don't recall seeing this one!
Thanks for posting it.
I hope we can learn more about the walking Model T.
If it was made in Walkerville Canada I could understand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 10:36 am:

I too would love to see more pictures of how it works?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 11:06 am:

This would be more appropriate on the "Let's See More Speedsters" thread? :-)
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Good thing he has a horn, so he could announce he was coming. I imagine that was as quiet as a bull in a china shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

Can't help but notice the similarity to a horse's foot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

Wonder if the mech-centaur could canter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

I wonder if it had parents ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 02:48 pm:

That just proves that even in those days some people had way to much time on their hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 04:37 pm:

It might have been the inspiration for the snow walkers in Star Wars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz9kZh8PNVM

Also, It appears people at burningman festivals like to build walking cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Let's UN-invent the wheel ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

Mythology of artificial men goes way back in ancient Greek, Hindu, and Chinese cultures. Even Christianity has robot legends going back to the 13th century.
Years ago, I read about a scientist/artist renaissance man that built a mechanical duck that walked, quacked, and laid eggs. He carried it with him all over Europe showing it off to royalty and other potential benefactors. I could not quickly find any reference to it, so I won't mention a name nor swear the story is true.
Efforts to make mechanical walking machines go way back. But this may be one of the earliest with photographic evidence.

Good one, Burger!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Methinks it would sink pretty good in soft sand, mud or snow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 11:11 am:

Throw a set of snowshoes on it, it would be fine!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 11:19 am:

I wonder how fast this could walk? And how strutty was the ride? And would it be considered as running if it gets over 10 mph? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 11:54 am:

I'm guessing this does not qualify for the Horseless Carriage Club.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

How many of us have worked with "that guy", had "that friend", who was a constant
stream of bad ideas ? And we just stand by and get a good laugh as this person goes
off on yet another enthusiast tangent to nowheresville, utterly clueless of how everyone
else sees things.

I keep coming back to this photo and laughing, just imagining this guy's friends and
how they watched this all come together. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

Have heard of a two-speed rear axle, but never a two-step one!

And look at the front spring, extra heavy duty, probably won't even flex under that walking pace of those hind legs :-)

The heavy wooden boxed and steel reinforced body makes one think this T Thing was made for industrial usage, maybe hauling heavy loads of cast iron or ore or something quite heavy on some type of unusual surface. Funny but still has rubber tires up front, if it ran on hot surface those front tires wouldn't be useful....that contraption needs iron front wheels!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 03:09 pm:

I think the performance would have been rather pedestrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

"How's your car?" "Oh, it's up and running."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

It took many years of development but Horace's work finally paid off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuVIHljdREs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

Reading this thread makes me want to build this as a doodlebug tractor now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

That video is stunning. My dog does that all day ...noiselessly, at zero development cost!

And Burger... I did work with "that guy"! I nearly peed my self thinking about it!!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

Kep, I had the same thought - haven't got any good rear wheels for my future garden tractor project yet.. ;)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration