Ford Coils and EMF

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ford Coils and EMF
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

This is not a laboratory test but it does indicate that an individual Ford Coil supplied with 6 VDC at 1.5 amps (9 watts)will produce electromagnetic signatures. The frequency varies from 400 HZ to 1000 HZ. The attached photograph was when the coil was at 717 HZ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

But what would happen if it was supplied with 60 Hz AC?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

George, do you have a part # for the coil you used? Jerry....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

Can you play with some "coil man" tested hand crank adjusted coils and see if they have a common signature ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

Oh hell George, kids been doing that since the early 1920's.
It's called a spark gap transmitter.
Place any AM radio near a running Model T and hear the music.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

To Answer the questions:
1. Michael - I used an older low voltage "sub-station." It was a Cambosco (Scientific Company, Boston, Mass.) Universal Low Voltage Power supply. Maximum AC voltage a 60 cycles 12 volts. No idea about the amperage. The frequency reading was 414 HZ. From the literature of the period, 400 rpm or 10mph produces 9.8 volts ac, at 52.8 cycles AC.
2. Jerry - your question about the "part # for the coil?" The coil in my test box, to left in the picture, is a Ford coil. Located on the top near the point is a script stating "Ford."
3.Ted I have a hand crank coil tester, maybe some time I will set a frequency meter along side and see that the frequency range maybe. Until then the real world test would be having the frequency meter inside the car whilst the engine is operating.
4. Ronald such language from the coil sage! Are talking about a spark gap transmitter similar to this? Yes sir there are harmonics and frequency drifting from the bugger. th

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

Everything old is new again ...

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

George
Apply power, key and wait till the FCC visit in their truck with funny antennas.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

From what I understand the FCC has purty much turned over stuff like that to the local sheriffs in the country to take care of.
It is so bad with CB amps around here I may as well have my own tv station or something

I keep looking at that key and it makes me mad. I had my written passed and had learned half my code and gave up ham radio because of the attitude of the "middle age pharts" that were in the hobby pushing me to use 2 meter handhelds. I wanted vacuum tubes .

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration