OT: Is harbor freight electric winch any good?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT: Is harbor freight electric winch any good?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

OT: Is harbor freight electric winch any good?

There is a 2500lb winch for $50 tomorrow. This is for the touring.

But if we ever use it for other modern cars. What relatively safe winch poundage strength is good for the average car winch?

I will be buying my first trailer tomorrow, It is a 16' open trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

application/vnd.ms-excel
Winch_Load_Calculator-49761.xls (25.6 k)
This is a winch load calculator for rolling loads. i hope it works

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

Robert...if it says "Chicago Electric" on it, I'd be a bit suspect. I've tried a couple of that brand from H.F. with no success whatsoever. JMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RVB on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

I've own a HF winch for years now.. my garage doors/openings faces the back of my house. which is at a slight slope. I roll my T's anywhere towards the bottom of the slope. and winch them up.. I took a 7' fence pole and hammered it into the ground in each garage slot, leaving about 18" sticking up. I throw some cement and a rebar in it.. so after rolling my t's down the slope I winch them into there slots/garage. not everything in HF is construction grade.. but it's worked for me.. best thing is the winch can with battery cable clamps, so I set up my battery charger instead of using a battery to power it. I move it from one stall to the other as I need it.. maybe I got lucky but I do remember paying around the same price several yrs ago..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

Just a guess but the 2500 unit is probably too light for a modern. I just installed a Badlands 12000 winch that came from harbor freight and it is more than up to the task of winching anything my trailer can haul and then some. It pulled a 5k suburban on like it was reeling in and empty cable.

I'm guessing a 5500 would be plenty for a T and the occasional modern car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

I have the HF 2500 and it works great for a Model "T" on an open trailer. I power mine with one of those jump-start power pack units like the tow truck drivers use.

Also, just a thought, I have not needed to do this yet, but I bought an inexpensive snatch block that I carry with the winch, the thought being that by using the snatch block, it will cut the distance you can pull in half, but double the power. As I say, have not needed to do this, but nice to have a "plan B" in case more pulling power is needed. FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Temple on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

I have had a couple of Harbor freight winches in my enclosed trailer for pulling hit and miss engines into the trailer after a show and have Burned two of them up buy trying to pull bigger loads then they were designed for. Every time I buy a harbor freight winch I buy the extended warranty two year plan for $20 extra and I make sure that the winch finds its way back to Harbor freight before the two-year plan is up. There are no questions asked. It's generally turned in and I go get a new one off the shelf and pay $20 for the extended warranty plan on the new one and the cycle continues. Matt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

If it dies you will be out $50, not the end of the world with today's dollars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Temple on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

I might add that mine too were 2500# winches and a couple of my last engines on skids and carts where heavier than a touring. Matt

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration