How to install a speedometer with 1915 & later spindle arms?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How to install a speedometer with 1915 & later spindle arms?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

Before 1915 the right spindle arm had an extra hole for mounting the speedometer swivel. After that, because Ford quit installing speedometers, both arms came without the extra hole. When I get around to installing a speedometer, what should I use to mount the swivel? Pictures anyone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

There was a special clamping mount that Stewart used,but I'm not sure what years. Maybe Russ Furstow will chime in here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, January 09, 2015 - 11:22 pm:

Here's what you need Steve. This is a Stewart setup. It clamps around the spindle arm.speedo drive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:21 am:

I couldn't find what was needed several years ago when fitting up the speedo on my 16, so with having some spare spindles I took to the one on the T with a welder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Steve,I may have some of those.I'll look tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 09:18 am:

1915's still had the tapered hole in the spindle arm, as Ford was still supplying speedometers in 1915.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 10:25 am:

That's what I thought, Larry.

Steve, since you're trying to use as many correct parts as possible on this car, you should find a spindle arm with the hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 10:52 am:

Steve, my '14 has the arm and clamp that Allan shows in his pic. I've seem them on Tbay and swap meets for relatively cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

I think I may have to go with the accessory bracket or make something, because I'm sticking with the under-axle wishbone setup that came with the car. That's one incorrect feature I'm willing to keep, for the usual reason. It takes the later unholed spindle arms to raise the steering linkage over the wishbone. I think I'd still have to use those even if I went to a double wishbone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

There is a mounting set up on Ebay right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

Steve, look at my photo's, I have the 2 wishbones and the steering linkage is not raised.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

I hadn't noticed that, Frank. I'll keep my eyes open for a correct spindle arm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

I most likely have an extra "orphan" arm w/hole around here - I'll get back to ya !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

The setup on my '15 Touring was the original wishbone with a period accessory brace underneath. The spindle arm with the hole worked fine on that. You can see the parts involved on the Classified section, if that ad for the Stewart speedometer board with clock is still up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

By the way Steve, all parts in my photo except the swivel are now available new from Snyders and others. Finding originals may be cheaper but it may also take some time. The Ubolt type piece is often buggered.

I probably shouldn't tell you this,lest you cry uncontrollably, but the setup I photographed for you came just like it is. Also in the tin was a complete equivalent setup for a Corbin speedo. Both the wheel gears were there too, as well as a couple of extra wheel gears. The tin was in some 30' of steel shelving with a heap of oak floorboards, 30' of copper guttering, about 40bs of brass stock and a some other bits and pieces, the whole lot, shelving included, all for $40.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Yea' I can believe that Allan, South Australia is a little behind the east side, you blokes still live in stone and sand block houses! hehe!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration