Looking for New Zealand vintage rallies & visits in February 2015

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Looking for New Zealand vintage rallies & visits in February 2015
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:07 am:

My bride and I will be touring New Zealand from February 07 to 26, 2015 her first visit there, and my first since the mid-'70s when I spent eight glorious months thumbing around that beautiful country. Photo below is yours truly behind the wheel at "Noddy's World" somewhere in NZ about 40 years ago.

We'll be arriving and leaving from Auckland, and traveling as far south as Dunedin and Queenstown. Our plans include hiking, hostelling, and cycling the Little River Rail Trail.

It would be great to meet up with a few Model T enthusiasts along the way and maybe take in a vintage car event or two.

Suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 02:27 am:

The premier (in my opinion) event is the Art Deco Festival in Napier. If you google it I think you will find it is in mid February. Napier was a town rebuilt after an earthquake in 1931 and hence the architecture is all art deco . For a week the whole city morphs into Art Deco every one (and it is every one) wears Art Deco clothes and the city is full of vintage cars (The street parade alone has more than 400 pre 1949 cars in it) and Jazz bands. I'll be there in my Model A This year will be our 9th year there and we would not miss it for the world. Would be happy to show it off to you - Karl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 03:03 am:

Art Deco weekend for sure; but then I live here in Napier.
I will be there in my yellow 18 speedster / pickup.
(check out my pic in my profile)
There is bound to be other Model T's also.

Look up www.artdeconapier.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 03:04 am:

oops ! forgot to put in the date, 20-22 Feb 2015

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 03:06 am:

pre 1946 cars only

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 05:19 am:

Be great to meet up in Dunedin. What date will you be here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Heffey NZ on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 07:16 am:

Would be great to meet up. We are in Paraparaumu about 1 hour north of the capital Wellington.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 05:50 pm:

Thanks for all the replies this is shaping up to be a great trip. We're sorting out the itinerary now and I'll be in touch with all soon by PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod McKenzie on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 11:03 pm:

Hi Chris, it would be great to meet you if you are in our area again. Your photo I am almost certain was taken at Windsor Park in Hastings, Hawke's Bay at a theme park now called "Splash Planet". A good place to keep the kids amused for a while in the summer. As Karl and Gavin have said, Art Deco in Napier, Hawke's Bay should be a must for you to experience. There can be upwards of 30,000 people thronging the pavements, and the 400 odd cars add to the ambience of the "not too serious celebration" of the anniversary of the Hawke's Bay earthquake of 3rd February 1931. There is every chance you could "bum a ride" in the parade which this year features the Auburn, Cord and Duesenberg cars of the 1930's, with the feature car itself being a mid-1930's Duesenberg which is believed to be the only one in the Southern hemisphere. However, there is ample opportunity to see the cars on Marine Parade during the afternoon and evening. On 6-7-8 February there is the three day "Leadfoot Festival" at Hahei and a Veteran rally in Carterton on 14th February [refer to your map]. I hope this is of some help to you with your plans for your tour.
Rod McKenzie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:09 am:

Thanks Rod great information, particularly about the Veteran Rally on Feb 14th. Do you have a link to the sponsoring body? Google actually came up short on this one.

It will be fun to get together with you, Gavin and Karl at the Art Deco festival. And I don't doubt the estimate of 30,000 attendance it appears they have already booked most of the area lodgings!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 01:03 am:

http://vcc.org.nz/events-calendar/

Hoping this will be updated soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod McKenzie on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 03:58 pm:

Hi Chris,
Regarding the Veteran rally in Carterton. The organisers for the Wairarapa branch of the Vintage Car Club are Will and Ruby Holmes who you may wish to contact. They should be able to fill in some details for you. You may also find details on the VCC website under "Triangular Rally". We are taking our '13 Roadster.
Rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

Chris I'm Booked for the parade at Art Deco
So happy to take you in my 1930 Model A if you want Karl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

Chris I think I can arrange accommodation for you in Napier My brother lives there and has a spare bedroom -Karl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

The Ford Model T Club of New Zealand's Annual Rally is from January 28th to February 4th touring the West Coast of New Zealand's South Island - very scenic and great motoring roads...... Alas you will miss it by a few days - I am sorry to tantalize you!

Send me a personal message if you would like to meet some T owners in Christchurch - I am sure we can show you a few interesting machines :-)

There will be some superb brass Model T's present at the "Edwardian Carnival" in Christchurch city in mid February. This event brings pre 1919 cars, bicycles and old costumes together for a day in the fabulous Hagley Park. Contact details at http://cinch.org.nz/categories/a-z/v/3084/entries/4699

The "Horseless Carriage Club" (veteran cars) events can also be found at http://www.horseless.org.nz/diary-notes.html. Model Ts usually participate in their events as well.

Kind regards

Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

Karl, thanks so much for your kind offers! Nevin, Rod & Adrian, thanks for the additional info and links. I'll be in touch soon.

I don't have any old car pix from my time in NZ 40 years ago, but here is the Falcon XL Estate we bought in Wangaratta NSW for $900 and drove up to the east coast to Cannes and back down to Brisbane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Heffey New Zealand on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 05:56 am:

Chris, it looks from the recent photos that that you have the same beard as the Falcon pic, it has just changed colour :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration