OT Driving in Michigan 2015

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Driving in Michigan 2015
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 07:24 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDb_MENTSE0 This can be disturbing to watch. But a good lesson on driving beyond your ability to stop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 08:39 am:

Oh man. You hear about these pile-ups and it sticks in your mind. But to sit and watch that video gives you a feeling of helplessness that hits you right in the gut. The sound of those cars piling into each other behind those you can see that have already become involved is eerie and disturbing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 08:43 am:

Very sad situation there. We had a similar one just a few miles from my home on our turnpike during a heavy snow squall last year. Not near the casualties, luckily. Why in the world don't people either slow down, or better yet, exit at the first chance when things are that bad?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 08:59 am:

It would be interesting to see how many in that pile are 4WD or AWD. People can't seem to understand they still have just 4 wheel brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 09:32 am:

Tim: It is the it won't happen to me syndrome I am a good driver and I have to get to point "B" now if all of these other half fast drivers will get out of my way. They just don't understand that getting wherever isn't worth the cost of someone's life... especially if it is your own!:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Too many people today just have to stay at high speed no matter what the conditions and hope nothing happens including some truckers. Plowing the roads makes it worse because the speeds go even higher. I would rather see unplowed roads and slower, high ground clearance cars like the Model T. As Henry Ford once said, "We need to go back to the way things were. We need to go back to the Model T days".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

I think this clearly defines what is and is not "worth a life", as defined by the very
people offering their's up. And as this is nothing that unusual, I'd say the voting
speaks for itself.

And let's be clear, if THEIR life/lives are held in such high regard, just imagine how
much value they place on yours and mine.

The good news is SOME will make it through unscathed for that hair or nail appointment,
AND the world will simply backfill those who do not with more bulletproof stunt drivers !

Welcome to the new world. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

There was a lake effect storm white out that caught the drivers unaware. Weather radar showed a very concentrated snow fall in the area of the accident. With a lake effect snow storm you can be in the clear one minute and in a white out the next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 03:17 pm:

I live within walking distance of I 94 in Battle Creek. I'm on I 94 a minimum of 20 times a week. Daily it is like the Indy 500 it is half way between Detroit and Chicago and I have seen more pile ups in this area in my 45 years than I care to count. I missed the last one 19 years ago by five minutes. All I can do when I hear this on the tv is to begin to text family members to check on their well being and did this that again yesterday. My advice, slow down....give yourself space between yourself and the car in front of you for a panic stop. Last fall I waited about 5 hours at about the same mile marker in a rain storm for a multi car accident. Probably time for this interstate to be three lanes from Ann Arbor to Benton Harbor. It probably wouldn't have helped yesterday in the near white out conditions we were experiencing. All we can do is pray for the victims at this point and wait for the highway to reopen so our life on the back roads can get back to normal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:43 am:

Snow, ice, fog, all about the same. You have a large percentage of people that insist that any "good" driver would just keep going fast. There is another large percentage that swear that if everyone simply slowed down to 5 mph at the first hint of risk, we would all be just fine. Most people are somewhere between those extremes. It would be so nice if everyone could be sensible, but that just ain't gonna happen! Yes, I have gotten off the main highway a few times. Unfortunately, sitting out some of these circumstances just isn't practical. A blizzard could take days to become safe. Even tule fog can remain at almost zero visibility for six to eight hours. Scary stuff to drive through. From what I have heard and read about "lake effect" storms? They have to be about the worst thing out there. Even worse than a sand storm (which in some places can bury cars and people alive).
For about three seconds. The scariest sudden blinding I ever had was a grass fire decided to leap across two shoulders and four lanes of freeway, right in front of me. The pickup truck that had been about 150 feet ahead of me suddenly disappeared into a wall of orange. I was too close to the flames to stop, and had to hope the guy ahead of me did not panic and slam on the brakes. I held my speed and blew right through.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 09:19 am:

I believe I heard on the morning news that 130 cars & trucks were involved in this terrible accident scene. One trucker was killed and 20 some injured. They showed the same video that is posted. I have been caught in white outs and try to stay in my lane and slowly reduce speed but not too slow because like mentioned above there is always someone in a hurry who is going to slam into you if you go too slow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 11:17 am:

193 vehicles were involved. Just reopened I-94 this morning.

On a side note I lost my two front upper teeth at age 8 when my dad rear ended a car that had stopped in the middle of the road in a white out. My mother, in the passenger seat, hit the windshield and had severe damage to her face. Dad was going quite slow but this was prior to seat belts and a crash of only 10-15 miles an hour can do lots of damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 08:59 am:

G.R...you're right! I've been trying to get my truck into the trailer dealer for 2 weeks to get the electric brake actuator installed for the trailer I bought this fall. All the while I have a '13 waiting for me in Minnesota! Not going to chance bad weather. Both will wait.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 09:22 am:

Good thinking Tim!! Bud.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration