Anti-freeze leak

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Anti-freeze leak
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 08:41 am:

Have a small problem, my '26 Touring has developed an anti-freeze leak while just sitting there in my garage in cold storage for the season. I haven't started it since I put it away in the first week of Nov. Looks to be leaking at the front left side of the engine right at the area where the head meets the block, so I'm pretty sure it is a head gasket leak. Here's the particulars: new, professionally rebuilt engine a year ago, z-head, anti-freeze adjusted to -47. I drove the thing all spring, summer, and most of what you'd call fall around here without a drop leaking out. No over-heating and the car always runs at temp or slightly cooler, so it has never over heated. I did re-torque the head three times over successive heating cooling cycles during the break-in period to make sure the head and gasket was properly seated.

Strangely enough, my '99 Chev. Silverado also developed a small anti-freeze leak a couple weeks before the Model T did. Haven't located the source of that for sure yet. Like the T, it spends the winter in cold storage as I drive my car that gets better gas mileage most of the time and all winter. Neither leaked much more than maybe three tablespoons, but I'd like to stop it. So, what's the fix? Any ideas as to the cause, remedy? By the way, the car doesn't leak a drop. Very perplexing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 09:04 am:

You might end up needing a head gasket anyway but #1 is a re-torque of the head bolts. You never know 'till you try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 10:05 am:

Kevin - are you sure that seam is the source and not a bit lower along the water jacket galley area? That is a common place for some seepage - galley is way thin from years of corrosion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 10:45 am:

Kevin,

One of mine does that during cold storage as well. It seems the cold allows the radiator hose to shrink and leak. Make sure it isn't weeping from the upper radiator hose and coming down and dripping off of the head/block making it appear to be what you think it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 11:13 am:

I put the green anti freeze in my 26 roadster and it started leaking from two places and I was told not to use the green stuff because it is so slick it promotes leaking. Also my 04 silverado started leaking from the water pump weep hole. It is going to cost $525.00 to fix. I'm just adding coolant until it gets worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James R. Booth, DeRidder, LA on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

Any bets on how long it will take someone, other than me, to say in response to Scott's post, "get rid of the water pump"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:29 pm:

Yep. you are right James. One of the leaks in my car was from the water pump and I did remove it. I have seen a lot of post on this site that most people do not run pumps so I toke your advise and removed mine. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

How often do you see someone post I added water wetter or soluble oil and now have a leak? Talk about slick!
Unless someone can show true test that show that green anti-freeze will cause leaks I am going to go with the, it's green and you can see it. Running with just water unless rust stains develop, the water evaporates or you just don't notice it.
I run a water pump. There are a number of people that do, some just will not admit to it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

It's common up here to find coolant weeps after a cold spell. Usually just tightening the hose clamps will fix it. Check out this article on antifreeze.

http://tinlizziesofabq.com/Antifreeze-for-Your-Model-T.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

After more close investigation, it seems to have originated from the hose by the clamp at some point. I tightened the clamp, but who knows? That frozen hose was hard as a rock. Haven't felt like crawling around under the truck yet on that frigid floor. Might wait until spring on that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

Might just be a seeping radiator hose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

Might just be a seeping radiator hose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 07:07 pm:

My 25 does that every winter. Never a problem after mid May. I check all fittings, etc each fall to see they are tight. I put a pan under the front of the engine and just enjoy the winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

Myth - ".....the green stuff is so slick it promotes leaking."

Anti-freeze evaporates much, much, MUCH more slowly than water. Therefore, a leak that is visible with anti-freeze is noticed, whereby if the cooling system just contained water, the same leak would be there,.....you just wouldn't see it because unlike the anti-freeze, the water evaporates before you even see it. And THAT is what creates the "myth", or, common misconception that anti-freeze causes leaks or that it leaks more readily than water.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 07:37 pm:

I'm in the same situation as Bill. My 24 has a very slow drip (a few drops a day), so I slid an old butter tub under it to catch it. Every couple of weeks I pour whatever has dripped into the tub back into the radiator.

If the cooling system was pressurized, I might be more concerned, but as it is I just live with it on the T. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration